Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading jailbroken iPhone 3GS from iOS 3.1.2?

Options
  • 26-09-2010 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I have been steadfastly avoiding upgrading my jailbroken 3GS to iOS 4 (despite having iTunes 10.0.1.22 now on my PC) so as to avoid losing my jailbreak. I figure though it's about time I bit the bullet.

Cydia says I have SHSH up to 4.0.1 so I'm presuming that is the version that I can upgrade safely to.

I'm a bit lost where to go from here. Where do I get the 4.0.1 from if my iTunes is the most up to date one?

Also, I used blackra1n before. Can I use this again?

Apologies is this has been asked before.

Oh and I should have asked too, is it worth upgrading to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

you can get 3gs 4.01 from here

youll need to edit a host file on your itunes machine to trick itunes into thinking its talking to apple, presuming your on windows go here, open the file with admin privileges,
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

add this line as a new line at the end of the file and save
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

now go to itunes and press shift & restore to locate the 4.01 file and install

easiest way to jailbreak 4.01 is to go to jailbreakme.com while on wifi on the phones browser
    swipe the bar to jb

if you dont like, you can easily go back to 3.1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brianhickey

I thought Cydia having the 4.0.1 SHSH stored meant that was the lowest firmware he could return to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

I thought Cydia having the 4.0.1 SHSH stored meant that was the lowest firmware he could return to?

No it means you have a choice of firmware s that Cydia will sign

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

jamesd wrote: »
    No it means you have a choice of firmware s that Curia will sign
    no ya it inly works for firmwares listed, when i jb my 3gs it said i had shsh for 3.1.3 and 4.
    my iphone 4 says 4,0,1 and 4.
    they are the only fw i could restore to

@rocuronium - you have a choice of firmwares if cydia says it has all shsh's up to 4.01, so you can reinstall using 4 or 4.01 as cydia will sign. Reading you post i assume it says it has 4 and 4.01?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 rocuronium

@rocuronium - you have a choice of firmwares if cydia says it has all shsh's up to 4.01, so you can reinstall using 4 or 4.01 as cydia will sign. Reading you post i assume it says it has 4 and 4.01?

yes it does give me a list of firmwares up to an including 4.0.1

i followed iPwnage's instructions and restored to 4.0.1 and jailbroke. went fine.

thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

while thats true, i get the imression that u think once u save shsh that ya can restore to any firmware, for example if somone on 4 or 4.0.1 jb now and hit make my life easier the only blobs saved would be for 4.1

ya can only save them while apple is still signing the firmware

guil wrote: »
    while thats true, i get the imression that u think once u save shsh that ya can restore to any firmware, for example if somone on 4 or 4.0.1 jb now and hit make my life easier the only blobs saved would be for 4.1

ya can only save them while apple is still signing the firmware

No you are under the wrong impression about me thinking that.

Advertisement