Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iran falls Victim To Cyber Worm

Options
  • 26-09-2010 4:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭

Good on you Siemens.

TEHRAN, (AP) — Iran's nuclear agency is trying to combat a complex computer worm that has affected industrial sites throughout the country and is capable of taking over power plants, Iranian media reports said.

Experts from the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran met this week to discuss how to remove the malicious computer code, or worm, the semi-official ISNA news agency reported Friday.

The computer worm, dubbed Stuxnet, can take over systems that control the inner workings of industrial plants. Experts in Germany discovered the worm in July, and it has since shown up in a number of attacks — primarily in Iran, Indonesia, India and the U.S.

http://www.latimes.com/technology/sns-ap-ml-iran-cyber-attacks,0,5536479.story

I think the main idea would be to take over rogue states nuclear complexes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

hmmm will i have to go get an std test now or does norton just wanna feel me up ?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Pdfile wrote: »
    hmmm will i have to go get an std test now or does norton just wanna feel me up ?? :rolleyes:

Ya cause that reply makes loads of sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Cyber security experts have warned that Iran's nuclear program might be the possible target of a destructive cyber worm, which is powerful enough to bring down whole industrial installations.

Experts said that 'Stuxnet' has been a dangerous cyber worm since being first identified in June.

They claim that the worm has the capability to take over a computing system via nothing more than a rogue memory stick, and its potential targets include Iran's Bushehr nuclear plant.

An analysis produced by Microsoft in July had also pinpointed Iran as the epicentre of the global infection map.

The big bang is near.....

By writing code to the PLC, Stuxnet can potentially control or alter how the system operates. A previous historic example includes a reported case of stolen code that impacted a pipeline. Code was secretly “Trojanized” to function properly and only some time after installation instruct the host system to increase the pipeline's pressure beyond its capacity. This resulted in a three kiloton explosion, about 1/5 the size of the Hiroshima bomb.

Ya cause that reply makes loads of sense!

its all over the world but the OP names iran mainly.

if it can spread their it will here ( swine flu loike... )

you can never be too precausious...

I think you will be safe.... unless you get a request from someone to stick a memory stick up your arse.:D

• Advertisement

its all over the world but the OP names iran mainly.

An analysis produced by Microsoft in July had also pinpointed Iran as the epicentre of the global infection map.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Did they try a system restore?

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Did they try a system restore?

press alt + F4 for cookies... it always works ! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I was reading in the paper a week or two ago that this worm is considered to be the beginning of a new era in warfare: A cyber-attack which is intended to result in physical destruction.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

My cat has worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Copyright CIA 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The nut case running the country will probably blame the Israelis:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

galwayrush wrote: »

leave Cowen out of it. I know for a fact he doesn.t have a computer.

Or a calculator

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

galwayrush wrote: »

Yeah because that would be unthinkable:rolleyes:
    Pathetic support for cyber terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Guys from Kaspersky state that Stuxnet is active since... July 2009, and might be that it already got it's goals. So it's too late, and we can now remove it and fix systems and so, whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

The Iron Sheik will put that cabrone worm in a camel clutch, problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 81,691 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was reading in the paper a week or two ago that this worm is considered to be the beginning of a new era in warfare: A cyber-attack which is intended to result in physical destruction.

NTM
    And yet its not a new phenomena, or the first time a remote computer has taken command of the power grid through hacking.

Once such article I read earlier in the year talked about one experiment they carried out at a hydro-electric whereby a hacker was able to exploit a low-level command to burn out one of the turbines.

If SmartGrid is inevitable, it's going to require a complete re-think of cyber-security.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

did ya try rubbin' it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

laugh wrote: »
    Copyright CIA 2010

Yeah, the excellent computer security podcast "Security Now" said that the Stuxnet worm had been analysed and was very sophisticated and targeted industrial microprocessors.

Security analysts believe it could only have been created by a nation state.
    That typical malware creators couldn't do anything this complex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Have they tried turning it off and on again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

tut all they have to do is delete system32 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Simple solution is turn off them damn computers.

They should just leave all this thinking where it belongs - in the brains of the eggheads in city hall with their papers and pencils and their thinkin' and a-figurin' and their fussin' and a-feudin'.

Advertisement