Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Road Cafe Balbriggan

Options
  • 25-09-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Anyone know what's happening with the Ring Road Cafe in Balbriggan - I used to go there once in a while and it's closed everytime I drive by but all the tables etc are still in it. any ideas? I know that new place Jaffa is opposite it but it's a bit pricey and has a canteen kinda feel about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Jup - they are closed indeed. Not sure about why. Jaffa's are a tad more deer but nice nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

Heard the Ringroad Cafe wasn't bringing in any money, or enough to survive anyway, and when the plans came in for the Jaffa cafe to open, they cut their losses and shut up shop. Jaffa isn't great for breakfast - unless you like it swamped in grease and it's pricey too. Plus I don't know why but when you're in it it sounds like you're in a swimming pool. Cates Cafe up near the Dunnes does a great breakfast and is really cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

I absoloutely love jaffa, they by far have the best salads and sandwiches in town (my opinion).. they aren't that pricey, and they don't serve your every day Irish food, more like salads and sammys and bagels etc..
    I think they have a weight watchers menu as well!!

the place looks abit out of place here in balbriggan, i'd say it'd be v.popular in city centre or something, the lunch crew would love it! LOL

never ate at the ring road, but it's closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

afterhours wrote: »
    the place looks abit out of place here in balbriggan
    Why does it look a bit out of place? Think long and hard about this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Would still have to say Main St. Cafe/Coffee Pot on main street in the town is the business for breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Why does it look a bit out of place? Think long and hard about this one.

Why think long & hard? Give us a clue what your on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

It's a good location though - plenty of offices in that estate, like the passport office, over 100 people working there, Rockabill Fish, AIB bank, .... so they probabaly wouldn't walk into town for lunch, I know the Ringroad Cafe used to packed over lunch and I imagine Jaffa's wouldn't be any different.

Also, The original Jaffa's was in Drogheda and they are slowly but steadily expanding into surrounding towns - unline many other chains, they are Irish owned and run so I for one like that aspect!

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Why think long & hard? Give us a clue what your on about.
    The first comment seems to be something said without any thought whatsoever, hence the advice to think long and hard.

Looking forward to the answer.

It is just the poster's opinion. No big deal really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

The first comment seems to be something said without any thought whatsoever, hence the advice to think long and hard.

Looking forward to the answer.
    Using the phrase "think long and hard..." suggests an implied threat in the regular use of the phrase - complete overkill in the context of this thread and should be avoided.
    Its fairly obvious what the poster meant - there are many "greasy spoons" in Balbriggan and not many "upmarket" lunchtime diners like Jaffa.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can we leave the modding to the mods (one of whom had already questioned the use of that phrase)

Thanks

Beasty

there are many "greasy spoons" in Balbriggan and not many "upmarket" lunchtime diners like Jaffa.
    Jaffa offers nothing different in style, ambiance or food than is already offered in Trax (5+ year in Balbriggan) or the newly opened Mollys. In fact it could be argued that the atmosphere in Jaffa is quite sterile when compared to both Trax and Mollys. Something which I would agree with having eaten in all three in the last two weeks, twice in Jaffa. If Jaffa is to be considered "upmarket", then both Trax and Mollys are right up there with it, if not above.

I believe Cates is also an excellent place for lunch which judging by it's website would be a fully justified description www.catescafe.com/lunch.htm

The only "Greasy Spoon" in Balbriggan would be The Coffee Pot on Drogheda Street, which I might add is second to none in what it does. Where are these "many" you talk about?

Where are these "many" you talk about?
    Drogheda street
    Deli Burger, FLC, Libero's, that chinese cum chipper on Railway st ....

Drogheda street
    Deli Burger, FLC, Libero's, that chinese cum chipper on Railway st ....
    They are fast food establishments, two of which don't actually offer any eat in facilities i.e Chippers, take aways etc..,

What next comparisons to the hot food counter in Spar?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Back on topic please (which is the Ring Road Cafe)

Thanks

Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    Back on topic please (which is the Ring Road Cafe)

Thanks

Beasty

Ring Road Cafe closed when Jaffa's announced they were opening across the road. Jaffa's is a welcome addition to the culinary offer in Balbriggan and a welcome change from the greasy spoon offerings that typify lunch time in Balbriggan. Pretty much sums it up. The OP's question is answered - close thread?

I really shouldn't have to explain myself but here we go, I just found the atmosphere different than other restaurants in the Brig, it seemed kinda canteen but more posh?! I'm not putting down other food in Balbriggan and i'm sure as hell not a food critique, I just perfer it's salads/weight watchers menu to most out of all the resto's in the brig. It's fast food, but it's sorta good for you too!!! oh and don't forget, it's awesome parking space :)

afterhours wrote: »
    I really shouldn't have to explain myself but here we go, I just found the atmosphere different than other restaurants in the Brig, it seemed kinda canteen but more posh?! I'm not putting down other food in Balbriggan and i'm sure as hell not a food critique, I just perfer it's salads/weight watchers menu to most out of all the resto's in the brig. It's fast food, but it's sorta good for you too!!! oh and don't forget, it's awesome parking space :)
    Careful now, this thread is about the Ring Road Cafe, however agreed on the parking, it's great.

Anyhow it closed as the developers of the building which Jaffa are tenants build their units on the premise that no other units in the vicinity would be developed into same, i.e Food outlet. So they had it closed and fair enough. Source: Owners.

Careful now, this thread is about the Ring Road Cafe, however agreed on the parking, it's great.

Anyhow it closed as the developers of the building which Jaffa are tenants build their units on the premise that no other units in the vicinity would be developed into same, i.e Food outlet. So they had it closed and fair enough. Source: Owners.

oops, sorry.. my bad ;)

Well I think that the OP's question has been answered. It is closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement