Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying an SLR!!

Options
  • 25-09-2010 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi, I need to buy a digital SLR as I'll be studying photography in college for the next few years and don't really have much idea where to get a decent camera.

I have a budget of about €700-800 but would like some advice on a good, reputable/reliable shop in Dublin City.

I have no idea what camera would be good for me, all I know is that I need one that is of decent quality in which you can control the aperture, shutter speed, iso, etc yourself.

Any advice on a model of camera would also be greatly appreciated.

I plan on using this for many years to come for personal & college use, and don't want to have to invest in a new one for a long time..

As you can see I'm clueless so all advice welcome.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

You have a decent budget in €700 - €800 so don't rule out good quality second-hand stuff. You'll find loads here on adverts

Do your research on the various DSLR's on the likes of DP Review. Spend a LOT of time reading the various reviews before parting with your cash. With that kind of money you should pick up a fairly decent entry level camera and a couple of lenses.

If you don't have any brand hang ups then don't rule out cameras outside the Canon/Nikon range, although these two brands have huge following and more importantly, have lots of good second-hand lenses available.

The shops in Dublin are Berminghams, Conns or Gunns. There you can get a feel for the various new models in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

If you plan on studying photography, buy a selection of decent lens from wide angle to mid telephoto, say 300mm.

You also need a decent PC and external / online backup. Maybe even a decent printer.

So buy a 2nd hand camera, personally I'm a Nikon man. You'll get a D80 for about €300. It's more than enough for what you need.

I'd suggest a 24-70mm f2.8 zoom, a 50mm macro & and a cheap 80-300 zoom.

You'll a tripod & flash too.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Firstly, you should read the sticky.

I don't know what kind of photographs you want to take, but if you don't want to do sports/wildlife and you don't want to do studio work and you do want to take good personal photos of situations in which you can just carry the camera and photograph the people and places around you and generally learn the principles of photography, you really don't need much.

You don't need a high-end DSLR.
    You don't need a wide angle zoom.
    You don't need a telephoto zoom.
    You don't need a fast normal zoom.
    You don't need a flash.
    You don't need a tripod.

You need a DSLR and a fast (between f/1.4 and f/2.8) normal (between 20mm and 35mm, not a 50mm) prime (fixed focal length, doesn't zoom) lens.

One of the better examples of this combination would be a Nikon D90 (which I believe is set to come down in price) and a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens. That said, any compatible combination of DSLR and lens that fits the description I've given above would be more than adequate. You'll probably be able to get the kit lens for very little money when you're buying the DSLR body; you may as well get it, if only so that you aren't turned off by the austerity of the prime, so that you'll actually appreciate the prime when you understand what makes it so good, and so you have a relatively wide angle lens for the few times you need one.

If you learn it well and work to its strengths it'll serve you well for many years. You won't need to buy anything more for a while, and if you do, you'll actually be better able to know what you need as you'll be basing your desires off an understanding of photography and not on what piece of gear you think will "fix" your photos.

charybdis wrote: »
    You don't need a high-end DSLR.
    You don't need a wide angle zoom.
    You don't need a telephoto zoom.
    You don't need a fast normal zoom.
    You don't need a flash.
    You don't need a tripod.

Agree & disagree with this statement.

Correct you don't need a high end DSLR. I know Nikon, so I'm going to use their model details. A second hand D80 is more than enough, in fact if the OP can get a D70s they should be laughing.

The OP is studying photography, they are going to be given assignments that cover the usual themes - portrait, landscape, macro (product shots etc.), abstract, depth of field, long exposure and these days probably HDR and a load of digital specific stuff.

For this the OP will need a wide angle lens. I suggested the 24-70 zoom to cover a range of focal lengths.

I agree that a full telephoto might not be needed at the start, but they are good for street candid shots and obviously sports stuff.

I agree that the 24-70 is probably a bit much, but if the OP could find a bit more money it's worth the investment. I've got the Sigma 24-70 f2.8, originally for my F90X, it's by far and away the best lens I've ever owned. It's almost permanently attached to my camera. Because it's a f2.8 is great for DoF for portraits. Buy badly and buy twice is my advice here.

The OP might not need a flash at the start, but remember they are studying photography. One of the first assignments will have to be portraiture. For this a flash is a requirement, bounce light off ceiling or for adding catchlights.

A cheap tripod isn't going to break the bank, but is again very handy.

As I said in my first post too, a laptop or PC is going to be very useful for working at home etc. Plus, especially with photography, external or online backups.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Wait until you have actually started the course and have been told exactly what you need. No use getting a DSLR only to find you needed a 35mm SLR.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

bren2002 wrote: »
    For this the OP will need a wide angle lens. I suggested the 24-70 zoom to cover a range of focal lengths.

A 24-70 on an cropped sensor is really going from Normal to Telephoto. The standard Kit Lens coverage of 18-55/70 is usually supplied as it has general use as an all round lens. This would probably do to get started.

CabanSail wrote: »
    A 24-70 on an cropped sensor is really going from Normal to Telephoto. The standard Kit Lens coverage of 18-55/70 is usually supplied as it has general use as an all round lens. This would probably do to get started.

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Any photography course I know of uses both digital and film so save a little for a cheap film camera (budget wise I would suggest getting a film camera that can use the same lenses as your digital camera).

What ever brand you go for it would be wise to buy a film camera of the same brand so that you may use the same lenses on each.

Also as one of the posters said previously the lecturers will probably talk to you about buying gear anyway so you might be best to listen to what they have to say.

My friend is studying Photography in IADT I believe and she had to get a film camera. When she bought a film camera she had a Canon 400D which more then suited her needs (already owned the camera) and for the film aspect of the course got a Canon 300V which uses the same lens mount and has a near identical layout to the 400D minus of course the screen etc...
    Also during the college year she is able to use the college lenses which are L series Canon lenses on shoots etc... and also is able to use them outside of the college.
    Depending on what brand of camera you buy check out if the college has a lens borrowing facility and of what brand lenses they have before you spend all your money trying to get the perfect lens for your needs.

My friend also started only with an 18-55mm kit lens and a cheap canon 50mm f/1.8 and that was perfect for her needs till the third year of which she purchased a second hand Canon 5D. Your budget will get you a more then satisfactory lens for your course, perhaps later in the course when you know exactly what you are looking for in a camera you will upgrade.

For the moment any modern Digital SLR out there will be perfect for your needs and the lens should be your main concern as that will make the most difference.

Good luck in the course and I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

i recommend the Canon 500D which has come down in price within the last year is a very good mid range camera right in your budget range. i bought mine on the internet on pixmania(dot)com.

you don't really need anything else to start you off. maybe a tripod at a later stage but you should definitely buy some books to read and study them, one particular book i recommend is

''Complete Book of Photography'', By: John Freeman

if your a beginner to photography this is a must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Hi thanks for all the really helpful comments guys!
    I've read every single one and have done a lot of research.

Right now I'm only looking for a DSLR and not a film SLR.
    For now my course just needs a digital one. I'm also buying it for personal use which is something I've wanted for a very long time so it's all quite exciting!!

Having read your comments I've looked through so many websites selling & reviewing cameras. I'm still a bit stuck though.
    I went to research the Nikon D80 which someone mentioned above and ended up hearing positive reviews about the D90! That also led me to the Canon 500D which someone mentioned above as well.

The problem is, due to my lack of experience I wouldn't know which camera is better? The Nikon D90 or Canon 500D!

Only thing about the Canon is that the price is a lot more resonable (Second hand anyway). I've seen some Nikon D90 bodies for about €600 euro but it still seems a bit steep..I'd still have to buy a lens.

Right now I don't need many different lenses, just a run of the mill type to get me through until I can afford one for things such as close ups etc.

All comments have been extremely helpful by the way!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Saaron wrote: »

The problem is, due to my lack of experience I wouldn't know which camera is better? The Nikon D90 or Canon 500D!

Whichever has the better lens on it grasshopper. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Basically they are all good. See which one feels best in your hand and go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

whatever you decide to go for, Canon or Nikon are the best makes to buy.
    both are highly sucessful companies that make great camera's and you get what you pay for. i dont know anything about Nikon as im new to photography myself i was in your shoes a few months ago so here i am trying to pass on some help. i own the Canon 500D so i can tell you its a great camera. i dont know what the D90 comes with lens wise or if it comes with a lens kit, but the 500D comes with a 18-55mm IS lens, the 'IS' stands for Image Stability incase you didnt know which means its good if you are zoomed right in and have shakey hands it helps prevent blur in shots. you get the idea.

i hope you can decide and maybe if you test them or look and hold them in some shop they will give you an idea or the weight and size in reality and get a better perspective before you buy, best of luck anyways

ALSO check both these websites out and bookmark them, their great i have learned bits off them

http://www.photoradar.com/

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/

Advertisement