Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap GPS Tracker

Options
  • 25-09-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I bought myself one of those cheap GPS trackers of ebay (like this one).

I got it working with an O2 SIM (Three USIM didn't work!) so you just send a text and it replies with a GPS coordinates of where it is. I tracker I got comes with hard-wired DC charger option and I installed it today. Its completely hidden under the dash and it works perfectly. The signal gets through the plastic dash and windscreen no problem.

Anyways my main reason for getting it was to try to create my own GPS Tracker App for my new Android phone. I've tested the basic functionality so basically press button to send request for update and when update text comes in it gets parsed and the icon on the google map updates its position.

Here's a screenshot... the other half at large!
    128903.jpg

If/when I get some time I'll try to create proper app and get it up on the app market! There lots you could do like keeping track of updates / showing location history / adding extra trackers etc. But its a cheap option for tracking the car (in case of it being robbed of course... not to track the other half :D)

So what other functionality should I consider?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why bother? :confused:

Is she a bit of a goer? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,449 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Smashing price for it compared to all the other expensive options on the market.

An option to located the nearest Garda station would be handy if it was stolen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Got one of the cheap ones myself, but its more a security type. It has the added advantage that I can disable the car remotely if it does get nicked. Not bad for 60 quid delivered. Like the phone app. Give me a holler if you code an iPhone one.:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Yes, but to trace it, device need GPS signal, and GSM signal.
    Without any of these, it won't work.
    So in case car is stolen, it's perfectly easy for a thief to hide it.

Maybe consider some option in your app, then you can put it into a emergency mode which you turn on every time you leave your car somewhere unsafe.
    In that mode, anytime the GPS coordinates would start changing (in other words if the car would get stolen and driven off) device would sens a text with GPS coordinated every 2 minutes.
    Then befoer the final place that thief planned for a car (without GPS or GSM signal) you will get a text history with all the way there - so you will know exactyle where it is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

CiniO wrote: »
    Agreed, if they know it's present and they have enough time to hide the car or find the device. On the time front the unit informs me in seconds of the car moving. I'm not waiting for a third party to tell me, so I can disable the car more quickly if it comes to it. If I fail to do that and they hide the car in an underground carpark with zero GPS signal, it'll try to locate using the less accurate gsm location method, which should give me some idea. My car's unlikely to be targeted by pros looking to flog it off for parts etc. More likely joyriding scum. That's if they can bypass my other security layers and get it started in the first place.

But yes I agree, I wouldnt rely on it or anything else as just one layer. The more the better in that respect.
    Maybe consider some option in your app, then you can put it into a emergency mode which you turn on every time you leave your car somewhere unsafe.
    In that mode, anytime the GPS coordinates would start changing (in other words if the car would get stolen and driven off) device would sens a text with GPS coordinated every 2 minutes.
    Then befoer the final place that thief planned for a car (without GPS or GSM signal) you will get a text history with all the way there - so you will know exactyle where it is.
    That's a good idea for the app end. The unit I have can be set to do something similar when it's activated. I must see how well that part works.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Why bother? :confused:

Is she a bit of a goer? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3_UCm1A5I

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

CiniO wrote: »

Yeah there's an option on the GPS tracker to enable a "geo-fence" mode where it sends you GPS position as soon as it starts moving so that would be an easy option to add to the software, to enable/disable the geofence mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

any update on this privateBeavis? I'm really interested in the idea. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

the feedback text at about every two minute interval.. sound like it'll cost a good bit.. better hope it is not out of credit..

The tracker is useful however can be use in a different way.. if it is stolen and you're sure of it.. since it is turned on at all time, contact garda/mobile operator to track the number..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

forgot to say it is a good idea tho..

was it a lot of work to wire it up??

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Br1an

Just to say you can get a cheap tracker but if you have a really valuable asset and it is stolen and put underground or in a metal container then you cant use GPS to locate it. You might be able to get a fix using Location Based Services or LBS which works of the mobile phone masts ie GSM technology but that will only give you a rough idea of location and it might be a half mile radius.
    There are however some trackers that have 3 tracking technologies GPS, GSM and Rf beacon.
    If your asset goes missing and GPS is not working you can then get the LBS position. With this done you then turn on the RF beacon with emits a radio signal. Having gone to the location you then home in on its exact location using a handheld scanner.
    These Trackers are not cheap typically 300-400 Euro with a monthly but it all depends on how valuable your asset is to you!

Advertisement