Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swapping colleges

Options
  • 25-09-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

heres the deal,im in first year arts in nui maynooth i was wondering would it be possible and how soon i can transfer to do arts in trinity or ucd.im really struggling in maynooth at the moment both financially friend wise and travel wise (my journey is 2+ hours everyday by bus and 2 trains) from wicklow

any help would be really be greatly appreciated...thanks boards members
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

When I arrived in maynooth I detested it. Really regretted my cao choices etc however it grows on you. the first week has only finished. Fairs day is coming up. I suggest joining some clubs and socs. Getting involved with the union can also be rewarding. Don't quit yet.

But if your going to quit, I sudggest emailing the relevant admission departments in ucd or trinity. however if your having trouble making friends in maynooth then you will be swallowed up in ucd.

I'm going to ignore your points on travel and finance because if you make friends in maynooth you'll end up crash there alot and thus save money on buses.

Look into grants, travel cards etc

Hibernian are doing a good deal on insurance for students these days.

(apologies for the rambling post... its been a long day in work)

p.s you could like get a job in dublin or maynooth and then rent??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

TBH, I support the OP every step of the way in moving universities. OP - email admissions at UCD or Trinity and see what your options are. Ask them about transferring course.

UCD: admissions@ucd.ie
    Trinity: admissions@tcd.ie

Contact the Academic Advisory Office at NUIM also: advisory.office@nuim.ie phone numbers are also accessible via googling Admissions and UCD, Trinity, or Academic Advisory Office or by any of the respective main switchboards.

If I were in your position travel wise, and if I couldn't afford (or didn't have reason) to move up, I'd move.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BeneGal

Having tried myself to transfer into Trinity (after doing a year in Maynooth, tried to get into 1st year in a similar course), I can tell you the only way colleges are allowed to take first years on is through the CAO - this is coming from the Head of Admissions in Trinity.

My advice to you would be to stick out first year and apply for a transfer directly into second year next year in a different college. Otherwise you could simply drop out and reapply somewhere else through CAO next year.

However, this being the second proper week of the semester I'd really encourage you to give Maynooth a chance. Everyone grows to love it eventually!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

dont do it. Trinity is very depressing. I went the opposite way. trinity-> maynooth.

Get a travel card for sure.

Also fairs day is this wednesday. Join a few societies and you will make loads of friends.

Have you considered getting a place in maynooth. Sometimes its cheaper than commuting and you will instantly know more people. you could get a decent place for 55-65 a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cracker123

Hi I feel as if I'm intruding and my daughter would kill me for this however she is also a first year student from wicklow and struggling with all of the same issues you mentioned.

Is there any way for first year students who know nobody to make contact with each other without feeling like a 'loser'. Feedback so far from my daughter is that witout knowing people its very difficult to attend any of the activities posted around the college.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

cracker123 wrote: »
    Hi I feel as if I'm intruding and my daughter would kill me for this however she is also a first year student from wicklow and struggling with all of the same issues you mentioned.

Is there any way for first year students who know nobody to make contact with each other without feeling like a 'loser'. Feedback so far from my daughter is that witout knowing people its very difficult to attend any of the activities posted around the college.

I'm in first year now and I didn't know a single person a week and a half ago, you just have to jump in head first :P I'm loving it to be honest, just randomly talking to people from my courses and stuff, and soon to be clubs and societies :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

There is a programme called the College Buddy programme, which started this year. Why don't you contact the Academic Advisory office and see if you could join this, it would be a great way to get talking to some people and learn a bit about the place.
    Start chatting to people in lectures, before/after. Tutorials will actually be a good way to meet people too!

Is she doing maths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Is she doing maths

I'm sorry, I just got this image of you going over to the poor girl all like "your mammy told me to talk to you". :P

Im not in first year so wouldnt make a difference. Was gonna get her to join the maths society. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

heres the deal,im in first year arts in nui maynooth i was wondering would it be possible and how soon i can transfer to do arts in trinity or ucd.im really struggling in maynooth at the moment both financially friend wise and travel wise (my journey is 2+ hours everyday by bus and 2 trains) from wicklow

any help would be really be greatly appreciated...thanks boards members

where in Wickla are you from? I'm a wickla wano myself! :)
    Any chance you can try move down? It'll be way cheaper than commuting!

I'm also extremely friendly and if I have even a vague idea who you are I'll take you under my wing! :)
    Especially someone from Wicklow, they are awful hard to find!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Hi, im a first year student too who came to maynooth on my own, (i took a year out and then went to college).

I would agree that at the start it is harder for people like us to find friends and some of my lectures have hundreds of people in them (and it seems that everyone else has freinds already) and i also dont live on campus . The societies and clubs day is on today so i would recommend that your daughter join something that interests her because i believe they are probably the best way of meeting new freinds especially if they share a common interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

hi
    i'm from blanch and i take the bus to maynooth.
    its takes 2hrs 30min.

i don't living on campus.

I will advise you to move down.

TRUST ME LIVE A WEEK ON CAMPUS AND YOU WOULDN'T GO BACK TO WICKLOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Oh for pity's sake, it takes just 20 mins by train to Maynooth, ROFL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Theta no direct bus from where I live to the nearest train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

What's with people saying "Wickla"? Sounds so stupid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    What's with people saying "Wickla"? Sounds so stupid.

You have to be from Wickla to get it! :P
    It's a pisstake of the local accent!

Op where exactly are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Theta no direct bus from where I live to the nearest train station.

it cant shurely take you an hour to cycle to the rail statn from Blanch.good grief!

Advertisement