Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am completey new to Sat, so aplogies if questions have been asked below

Options
  • 25-09-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Am completey new to Sat, so aplogies if questions have been asked below

Have two TVS in house, one is full hd and one Sorround system , curent TV provider NTL, dont have inbuilt sat receiver in the TV's

Hoping to ditch NTL and go to Sat

Was hoping to watch Irish channels as well as the British ones, someone has mentioned to me that irish channels will be avail in approx six months (DTT ?) on sat, what is DTT and is 6 months realistic ?

I believe another way to do this is a sat and an aerial, will I need 2 remotes, one for aerial , 1 for sat

Can I get sorround sound from the sat and aerial system, is the aerial system dig or analogue

And what is the diff between freesat and free to air

Would like to edit the EPG so I can have most frequently channels easily accessible

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DTT = Digital TV via aerial
    SAT = Dish. Needed to get all the free UK channels (BBC, ITV etc).

FTA satellite is manual scanning/tuning: A pain in the neck. only now /next info. No digital Text.
    Freesat is UK branded FTA which has automatic tuning, 7 day guide, BBC/ITV Interactive easy access to extra specalist programs not on Channel list. Definately the route to go. Freesat HD recommended even if you didn't have HD TV.

We won't be 100% sure exactly how to connect Irish Satellite to Freesat HD box for another 6 months.
    See http://www.techtir.ie/saortv for loads of details and links to posts here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,526 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Just to add to Watty's post

DTT (Digital Terrestrial Television) i.e. digital TV using an aerial with a compatible DTT TV or set top box - Saorview or Saorview TV, on test at the moment but due to launch by the end of Oct with a probable public information campaign.

DTT on sat i.e. the Irish channels free with a satellite dish and receiver - Saorsat, UK channels will not be available with this option.

To receive DTT with an aerial the TV must be MPEG-4 (H.264) compatible. If you post the model numbers of your TVs someone may be able to confirm if they will work with the current DTT tests or check the specs in the manuals. If they are not compatible a STB will be required at each non Mpeg-4 TV.

The Saorsat satellite service is still 6-9 months or more away, no further information available at the moment.

As watty says a freesat receiver and dish is the way to go for the UK channels. HD PVR receivers are available which will allow you to watch one/record one or record two channels etc. Digital text and red button services are also available.

I don't think surround sound is available.

This option combines DTT and FTA sat in one receiver, do a search here on the boards for discussion about the receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

The Cush wrote: »

To receive DTT with an aerial the TV must be MPEG-4 (H.264) compatible. If you post the model numbers of your TVs someone may be able to confirm if they will work with the current DTT tests or check the specs in the manuals. If they are not compatible a STB will be required at each non Mpeg-4 TV.

rE MPEG 4, OUR tv IS panasonix tx-37lz80l

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Assuming I mount my dish near the eaves of the house, whats the best way to bring the cables down to the TV's

Is there a void between the exterior walls and the plasterboard, or do most people bring the cable down the exterior of the building, drill a hole thru the wall on feed the cable thru

Can I bring the cable from Sat and connect to the existing NTL supplied coax and get a signal this way. Is this a bad idea having two cables joined ?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭abyss

Will not work. You need TV-sat receiver (DVB-S2 i presume) and it should decode MPEG-4 (H.264) signal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

k123456 wrote: »
    Assuming I mount my dish near the eaves of the house, whats the best way to bring the cables down to the TV's
    It's a personal choice.
    Is there a void between the exterior walls and the plasterboard,
    You'd have to ask the house owner or the builder. If you are referring to "dry lined" walls, there's usually a very small gap.
    or do most people bring the cable down the exterior of the building, drill a hole thru the wall on feed the cable thru
    I'd say "yes" but make sure you do it correctly with a drip loop etc.
    http://www.satcure.net/tech/brick_burst.htm
    Can I bring the cable from Sat and connect to the existing NTL supplied coax and get a signal this way. Is this a bad idea having two cables joined ?

See http://www.satcure.com/accs/page8.htm#threadedf

Advertisement