Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire - must decide tomorrow morning!

Options
  • 24-09-2010 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Got a call from Meteor shop tonight to say that they had a Desire if I wanted it. I asked about one ages ago. I am torn about this move into this world of smart phones. Gotta decide by the morning as they have only 1... decison time !!

If you can answer any of my questions it would be much appreciated ..

Anyone have a desire, whats the battery like? would you get 2 days with light use?

Should I be getting android 2.2 froyo installed on the Desire by now or is 2.1 on the go? Is there much to upgrading.

Anyone tried these mugen extended batteries are they any good?

Is the galaxy s a better option over all? There seems to be no shortage of them!

Thanks
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Anyone have a desire, whats the battery like? would you get 2 days with light use?

Yes, no bother. Battery use is dependent on what you get up to with the phone. Turning off wi-fi and bluetooth when out and about will save a lot of battery power.

Should I be getting android 2.2 froyo installed on the Desire by now or is 2.1 on the go? Is there much to upgrading.

With Meteor, if the phone does not already have 2.2 on it, upgrading is as simple as pie. Literally a few key presses and the job is oxo.

Anyone tried these mugen extended batteries are they any good?
    Never heard of them.

Is the galaxy s a better option over all? There seems to be no shortage of them!
    Wife and I both have Meteor Desires. Very happy with them. I know very little about the Galaxy S.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sidewinderVX

I think you'd get 2 days, I get a day with mine and use it a good bit with email checking every 30 mins.

Like dahayeser said if the phone doesn't come with Froyo they phone should prompt you to update, there's nothing to it, just have to accept it.

Never heard of the batteries either, and haven't used the Samsung G. but I've never been a fan of Samsung phones...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Once you get the Desire you won't be able to put it down. Generally the battery is ok on standby but it can drain quite fast with heavy use. Get yourself a charger for work and the car and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Would check CPW first as the desire is 130 euros in CPW and 160 euros in Meteor.
    I got the desire about 2 weeks ago and am very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dahayeser

Thanks a lot guys. Nothing like a bit of reassuarance :)

I had read good and bad about the desire but sofar my first impressions are all good! Battery has been lasting 24 hours but that is with fairly heavy use while I am trying to figure it out! I reckon I should get 2 days with regular usage alright.

A couple of quick questions -

Installing Froyo - just download and install from the market place is it?

Is there a meteor data usage app that out there that tells how you are doing with minutes, texts and data?

@Automan
    Cheers for the tip. They didnt have the Desire in the CPW though but meteor threw €30 off in exchange for an old phone of mine (not a very good one) so €130 in total. Was happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

dahayeser wrote: »
    Installing Froyo - just download and install from the market place is it?

No. Just go to Settings-About Phone- System Software Updates and click on Check Now
    dahayeser wrote: »
    Is there a meteor data usage app that out there that tells how you are doing with minutes, texts and data?

Yes. Go to the Market and search for Mobile Account Checker and you're sorted ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Is the galaxy s a better option over all?[/QUOTE]

No Flash. I don't mean no flash software.

I mean no flash on the camera. Literally.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Is the galaxy s a better option over all?

No Flash. I don't mean no flash software.

I mean no flash on the camera. Literally.
    I'd advise you do a search as there are plenty of comparisons between them done on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

kesey wrote: »

With Meteor, if the phone does not already have 2.2 on it

I got my Desire from Meteor in the last month and it came with 2.2 pre installed

Advertisement