Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quit today

Options
  • 24-09-2010 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone. I gave up today. This is my fourth try this year, I lasted a week last time. I smoke on average about 40 a day. I am on the patch this time(the inhaler did nothing for me). But this time I am going more cracked than usual, really agitated etc. It was easier the last few times for some reason. Any advice from x-smokers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

You can do it!
    12 weeks Monday for me - so just keep going!

It definitely gets easier as you are off them longer. When you get a craving, just remember it will only last about 5 minutes - just wait and all is over!

Release yourself from the nicotine addiction - you will thank yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Thanks Navan, but alas you are too late. I bought a pack a half hour ago and have already smoked one:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Throw the rest in the bin.

Just start again! don't beat yourself up just do it again.
    You can do - see how much control over you they have - do you like this? No of course you don't - nothing else has this much control over you.
    You can beat it!
    5 minutes - thats all you have to wait.

I've tried 4 times this year. The first two times I lasted a few days, the first time cold turkey and the 2nd I tried the inhaler. Last time the patches. I lasted about 8 days. It's tough tho. I do want to quit tho for future health reasons. Did you just go cold turkey or what?

• Advertisement

Feck it. I just through the patch on. Round 2!

I went to a hypnotist but to be honest it is will power and just getting through each individual craving. IT IS NOT EASY - there I said it and 12 weeks on it still isn't "easy" but it is grand. Maybe once a day I get a craving for 5 minutes (nothing like the early ones) and then it is gone. I was smoking for 25 years, 20 Carrolls a day. So I would consider myslef a heavy smoker. But now I can breath better, I feel better, I smell better and most of all I am free of them. They don't control me anymore, I control me.
    In my opinion the patches aren't doing you any favours. It is prolonging the nicotine in your system. 3 days and it is gone - maybe a bit more..... but why prolong the inevitable? But to be honest whatever does it for you. It is better than smoking.
    Good Luck!

PS the hypnotism did take away the habit of holding something, and inhaling and having one at certain times. But did not take away the cravings. That is pure will power.

http://www.whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Symptoms.html

Take a read of this - it will help understand what you are going through and why you need to keep at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hey everyone. I gave up today. This is my fourth try this year, I lasted a week last time. I smoke on average about 40 a day. I am on the patch this time(the inhaler did nothing for me). But this time I am going more cracked than usual, really agitated etc. It was easier the last few times for some reason. Any advice from x-smokers?

Have you ever tried Allan Carr's 'Easyway to quit smoking" (book (cheap as chips) or seminar (relatively cheap as chips))? I know a shed load of people (including myself) who've quit his way and the major difference between him and all the other methods is that

a) you don't have to employ willpower

b) it's easy rather than hard.

Additionally, you can smoke away to your hearts content whilst he get's you off them. The great thing is that if you find it any harder to quit than falling off a log then you're not quite understanding his message and you go back for clarification. Once you undestand the (simple) message, quitting is just like it says on the tin. Easy.

Advertisement