Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warm up cold red wine?

Options
  • 24-09-2010 8:48pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you have a bottle of red and it's a bit cold, is there any doable way to warm it up to a proper temperature? I'm sipping a nice red here but it just feels cold, and its kinda spoiling it...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Cup the glass in both of your hands and it sould warm to room temp after a while. For the bottle no harm placing it on a rad for a few minutes or even in a jug with hot water. Either of those should bring it up to room temp but keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I used to leave it near a radiator in winter or in the kitchen around the oven or the hobs when cooking. Either one worked well but as the poster above said you don't want it to be too warm.

I also rinse the glasses with warm water before using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anthonymax

I leave mine in the hotpress. Not too close to the tank obviously...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I always stick mine on the radiator for 20 mins or so, I can't enjoy really cold red wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

As Miley would say,

Well Holy God!

Its rare, VERY rare that a red wine needs to be anywhere close to room temperature.

Most red wines are best server between 13 and 18 degrees Celsius. Most homes are about 21/22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

enda1 wrote: »
    As Miley would say,

Well Holy God!

Its rare, VERY rare that a red wine needs to be anywhere close to room temperature.

Most red wines are best server between 13 and 18 degrees Celsius. Most homes are about 21/22.

What if it's come from your garage or (in my case) from under a cool stairs?

I find that the best way to take the chill from a bottle is to put it in warm, not hot, water for about 5 minutes.
    But do not over warm!
    Warm red wine is awful.
    Just as over chilled white wine has no flavour.
    I find most restaurants serve their red wine too warm and their white wine too cold but I suspect that's the way most of their customers like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

+1 on the radiator if its quite cold, but as was previously mentioned it should be about 18 degrees max.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Which reminds me, if you are looking for something to use regularly.

There is also a product called Therm Au Rouge I got it in Brown Thomas in a twin pack with a White Wine sleeve that is placed in the freezer.

Therm Au Rouge is a liquid filled sleeve that has a metal click button in side it that once pressed causes a chemical reaction in the liquid which actually solidifies the liquid but also warms it. You can then boil it and reuse it again and again. We use our fairly regularly during the winter months and really does the trick.

Found it on Amazon but it is not in stock but it was only 14 or 15 Euro in BT's

Advertisement