Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archaeology Exhibition in Dublinia

Options
  • 24-09-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Just thought I'd let you all know about an archaeology exhibition called History Hunters which is on permanent show in Dublinia.
    It is about how archaeologists, historians and scientists all work together to interpret the past. It has reconstructions of a dig, a library and a science lab.
    There are artefacts from the National Museum from Mags Gowans excavations on Georges st, Kevin st and Golden Lane.

(Its free in tonight for culture night too!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Will certainly check that out. Cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Thanks! Is it a separate display from the rest of the exhibitions or are they all in one? http://www.dublinia.ie/exhibitions_dublin-page.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Thanks! Is it a separate display from the rest of the exhibitions or are they all in one? http://www.dublinia.ie/exhibitions_dublin-page.html

Hey,

They are all on seperate floors.
    On the ground floor are the Vikings, second floor is the high medieval period and then the third floor is History Hunters. So you just pay one entry fee but get three exhibitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

I think the high point* of Dublinia that many people miss is St Michael's tower. It's not signposted from within the exhibition, and you need to go out a fire exit to get to it, and the views are fantastic, especially on a clear day.

To find it: before you leave the shop at the end and go down the steps to the entrance to the cathedral, do a 180 turn, and go through the wooden door opposite. There's a little corridor, and you'll see steps going upward to the tower.

*no pun intended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

There was a thread here a week or so back about the job of Training Assistant in Dublinia but I can't find it. However, a friend of mine got called for an interview for the post and while she was there she saw stuff she had excavated in Temple Bar... it brought her down memory lane!

I went along to the exhibit. It is worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

There was a thread here a week or so back about the job of Training Assistant in Dublinia but I can't find it. However, a friend of mine got called for an interview for the post and while she was there she saw stuff she had excavated in Temple Bar... it brought her down memory lane!

I went along to the exhibit. It is worth a look.

Awh was there? Yeah, someone has been appointed to that position. It must be great to see stuff you've found being on display, rather than stored in a cupboard for years. Makes the whole process complete if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

Doozie wrote: »
    Awh was there? Yeah, someone has been appointed to that position. It must be great to see stuff you've found being on display, rather than stored in a cupboard for years. Makes the whole process complete if you ask me.

It really does, doesn't it?

I must ask my friend how she got on and if she got the job or not. I have been working in Louth for a few weeks and was out of the loop.

Advertisement