Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain effect????

Options
  • 24-09-2010 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

My satellite signal strength and quality is usually at 100%, and occasionally 90% on the strength. However on Wednesday evening during one of the almighty cloud bursts that came down (a river of water was running down my driveway for a while), I lost the satellite signal for a minute or two. When it came back, it was at 50% for a while and later recovered to 100%.

Was this "rain effect"? I haven't lost signal before or had the levels drop below 90% either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes,
    The only cure is bigger dish.

Signal level is irrelevent on modern LNBs due to power of IF amplifier built in. Only "Quality" counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

watty wrote: »
    yes,
    The only cure is bigger dish.

Signal level is irrelevent on modern LNBs due to power of IF amplifier built in. Only "Quality" counts.

I disagree with you ive occasionaly lost 28 east on my 1.1m dish in a cloudburst! I think in the most severe weather no size dish is a cert for reception!

Happened to me once on 90cm in 10years...

a 2m would cure it :) Unless it got filled with snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

snaps wrote: »
    I disagree with you ive occasionaly lost 28 east on my 1.1m dish in a cloudburst! I think in the most severe weather no size dish is a cert for reception!

Indeed, I remember a few years ago some satellite channels being carried on Cablelink were wiped out for a time during a heavy thunderstorm - and I'm sure they used dishes of three metres or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mickko

I recall a few years ago that Sky News dropped out on me for a few minutes due to bad weather, which I assumed at the time was my antenna as it was raining here.
    However, when it returned, the Sky News presenters apologised for the loss of service explaining that it was as a result of cloud cover over their London studio. To my surprise they showed a live camera shot over the roof of the Sky News studio of the weather, which was torrential, and their uplink satellites, which must have been at least 10-15 metres diametre. So, size doesnt matter!

• Advertisement

A minimum uplink is about 4.8m
    so for an "uplink" 10m is like 1.3m home dish.

If you want to "steal" a satellite you want 400W transmitter and 20m dish to be sure to block out the valid signal.
    GENEVA: The United Nations' leading communications agency called on Iran yesterday to end jamming of foreign satellite broadcasts, which is banned under its global regulations. The unprecedented move by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) adds to pressure on Tehran as world powers consider a new round of UN sanctions over Iran's nuclear programme and it faces simmering social unrest.

Iranian authorities have been jamming foreign satellite broadcasts into their territory since late last year, with broadcasters such as the BBC and Deutsche Welle affected. Access to the Internet for Iranian citizens has also been affected. In a statement, ITU's radio regulations board said interference coming from Iran was harming signals from satellite networks run by Eutelsat, a French satellite operator.
    Iran was /is using big dishes in Cuba to jam USA uplinks. If you have enough power maybe 6m is big enough
    Also see
    http://www.spacenews.com/satellite_telecom/100108-france-seeks-itu-signal-jamming-iran.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Its not really the rain more the clouds not like a bit of cloud cover has to be really thick

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Years agoI remember trying to watch Match of the Day from a deflector system with a rabbits ears.

I can live with a little signal loss due to rain nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Trevord wrote: »
    Years agoI remember trying to watch Match of the Day from a deflector system with a rabbits ears.

I can live with a little signal loss due to rain nowadays.

?????????

Advertisement