Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Service looking for laptop owner

Options
  • 24-09-2010 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

We are looking for man who left laptop for repair in our service. Laptop was repaired and it is ok now... but the customer disappeared. His number not respond.
    If you know something about that please contact us:
    087 780 54 46 or www.itservice.ie
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Careful now.

- I've heard that Bangalore has started harvesting Human organs.

On topic - I do not know this Man or his Laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Perhaps this guy?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056031889&highlight=hinge

Did he say he found you on boards or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 itservice

phill106 wrote: »
    Perhaps this guy?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056031889&highlight=hinge

Did he say he found you on boards or something?

No. He has a shortcut to boards.ie on desktop.

click it...
    see if he has username saved! Or autocomplete?

click it...
    see if he has username saved! Or autocomplete?

it was the first thing i did....

• Advertisement

Go here - Lots of Limerick People that use Boards.ie and have Laptops......

Could be this Guy - The expression really does say, WTF, where did I drop my Laptop into and where did I leave my Phone???????

<image snipped>

haha lol

^^^^^
    Looks like he is deciding whether to spit or swallow...his beer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Bit of a long shot but if nokia pc suite (or other brand software) was on the laptop you could try a search on the laptop for .nbu files. These are nokia backup files. If you found the backup file you could restore it to a phone and get a contact number from there.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Bit of a long shot but if nokia pc suite (or other brand software) was on the laptop you could try a search on the laptop for .nbu files. These are nokia backup files. If you found the backup file you could restore it to a phone and get a contact number from there.

Thanks for advise, but I checked that laptop for this kind of data. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ITservice, you have gone over and above what needs to be done to find him, however in the end its his responsibility to collect his gear.
    Dont feel too bad, just keep it in storage until he remembers. Kudos for trying though.

or whats the cut off policy :) 60 days? year and a day?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Raiser wrote: »
    Go here - Lots of Limerick People that use Boards.ie and have Laptops......

Could be this Guy - The expression really does say, WTF, where did I drop my Laptop into and where did I leave my Phone???????

<image>

Mr Wong only uses Macs, so it's definitely not his ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Great advertising ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Not if you look at the website :)

Jumpy wrote: »
    Not if you look at the website :)

Itser Vice?

or whats the cut off policy :) 60 days? year and a day?

I need to talk about this with my lawyer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Correct. Unless you have clearly stated on repair documentation that equipment will be "dispoed of" etc after XXX amount of days, you could be letting yourself into some trouble.

It sounds like you have searched the laptop for data on the original owner but surely ye have repair dockets that document customer name, address, phone number, email etc. Do customers not sign repair documents or disclaimers of some sort???

Do customers not sign repair documents or disclaimers of some sort???

Yes.

It is apparent he has this Persons, previous address, current address, star sign, favourite cereal, Mothers maiden name, blood type, favourite CD and high score in Donkey Kong.

- That is why he is on here every day asking the Idiots of the Internet for help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Raiser wrote: »
    Yes.

It is apparent he has this Persons, previous address, current address, star sign, favourite cereal, Mothers maiden name, blood type, favourite CD and high score in Donkey Kong.

- That is why he is on here every day asking the Idiots of the Internet for help ;)

I agree.

It's not like you now have a few hundred people who know of an IT repair company they never knew existed last week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll give the OP until midnight tonight to explain what's going on here, and if I'm not happy by then I'll be deleting this thread as spam/advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭OnlyGotOneSong

Looks to be a unique form of advertising !!!

I'll give the OP until midnight tonight to explain what's going on here, and if I'm not happy by then I'll be deleting this thread as spam/advertising.

There is nothing to explain. I just try to be honest.
    1. The customer wanted to repair his laptop.
    2. Laptop has been repaired but customer didn't receive his equipment.
    3. I tried to find the guy using every trace of him.

That's all.

I'm still waiting for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Did you wipe the system? If not did you check registered owner? The user registered for Microsoft products? He might have been truthful when registering! ;)
    Did you check document attributes for owner or author?
    Did you actually extract the autocomplete info from his browser?

The last place I worked had contact details for people like this and they still wouldn't collect their stuff when contacted, so it had to be kept in case they ever changed their mind. I think there is a finite time that you have keep the stuff for though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

How long do ye have the laptop?

My brother in law got his computer fixed a few weeks ago and forgot to collect if for over a week (he has now not to confuse things).

Gulliver wrote: »
    Did you wipe the system? If not did you check registered owner? The user registered for Microsoft products? He might have been truthful when registering! ;)
    Did you check document attributes for owner or author?
    Did you actually extract the autocomplete info from his browser?

The last place I worked had contact details for people like this and they still wouldn't collect their stuff when contacted, so it had to be kept in case they ever changed their mind. I think there is a finite time that you have keep the stuff for though.

I had wondered.... How entitled is an IT Professional to sift through your data whatever the reason???

- Unless the Customer had signed something waiving their basic right to privacy is it not crossing a certain line :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

itservice wrote: »
    There is nothing to explain. I just try to be honest.
    1. The customer wanted to repair his laptop.
    2. Laptop has been repaired but customer didn't receive his equipment.
    3. I tried to find the guy using every trace of him.

That's all.

I'm still waiting for him.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, but I find it hard to understand the following
    How did this person contact you? by mobile phone?, by email?, if so, have you not got any record of these contacts?
    As you have no business address listed on your site, how did this person give you the laptop for repair? did you collect this laptop from this person? have you no record of the address?

I find it strange that somebody would forget they had a laptop in for repair, who they gave it to for repair, and where it was being repaired.

jbkenn wrote: »
    How did this person contact you? by mobile phone?, by email?
    by mobile phone
    jbkenn wrote: »
    have you not got any record of these contacts?
    He filled up Equipment handover report, so I have his name and phone number.
    But as i wrote his number is unavailable...

Thanks for helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Is it a nice laptop, and how much does he owe, maybe its mine ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Out of curiosity, what make is it ?

Advertisement