Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things About UCC That Make You Laugh / Smile

Options
  • 24-09-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

When I discovered this, I thought it too good, not to pass on.

Was googling the accommodation office and found its webpage. While it states that the office is on College Road, it neglects to say where. Supremely ironic, considering its the accommodation office! :D
    I wonder who they're hiding from. Can't be Simon Wiesenthal cause he's dead. The mafia maybe?

Sooo UCC :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

The quadrangle...

...isnt actually a quadrangle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

The amphitheatre.

There is nothing amphibious about it.

Unless it rains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The idea that you will fail your exams if you walk through the quad and seeing people walk into the glass in the student centre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Most people not knowing where the Windle building is despite it being in the middle of campus:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pn7xjrqy6fhta1

deisedude wrote: »
    Most people not knowing where the Windle building is despite it being in the middle of campus:D

What is it?

• Advertisement

What is it?

Its across from the old bar. Not sure what lectures are in there but cadavers are kept there:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Where's the entrance to that Windle Building? I've a class there next year, just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Where's the entrance to that Windle Building? I've a class there next year, just wondering.
    When you come out the door of the old bar walk down the left of the carpark thats in front of you and its about half way down the building.

Was there last year for anatomy. Managed to stumble past the dissection room when the med students were eh doing a bit of poking around..the smell around that room is hideous. Also if you see the 4/5 plaster paris models of hips in there....i made them in my work experience over there in 4th year :P

The idea that you will fail your exams if you walk through the quad and seeing people walk into the glass in the student centre :)

I also heard that if you walk over the crest that if you are a girl you will get pregnant or if you are a fella you will get a girl pregnant. Although Iv seen a load of people walk over it in just the first week. There will be a lot of people missing college in a year's time trying to mind their new babies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 curlynettie

no if you walk across the crest you'll fail our exams! you can walk across it on your graduation day! same goes for the middle of the quad..only walk across it on your graduation!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Haha. I have seen 15 or 20 people walk on it already.

no if you walk across the crest you'll fail our exams! you can walk across it on your graduation day! same goes for the middle of the quad..only walk across it on your graduation!! :rolleyes:

I've heard both for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

The staircase on the top floor of the Food Science building (the side nearest the walkway to the Kane) that leads to a tiny little landing with nothing on it.
    First time I ever ventured up there, there was a chair there. Second time, the chair was gone and instead a brush was there. Now there's nothing. I still go up every so often just to see if anything else has appeared! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I had a class in the windle building for an entire year and I still had to think about where it was just there. I still didn't walk on the chrest after graduation, it's such a habit to avoid it by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I did that during Fresher's week last year, and then proceeded to fail the summer exams, and then the repeats. So by that logic, walking through the quad makes you fail your exams.

:pac:

The staircase on the top floor of the Food Science building (the side nearest the walkway to the Kane) that leads to a tiny little landing with nothing on it.
    First time I ever ventured up there, there was a chair there. Second time, the chair was gone and instead a brush was there. Now there's nothing. I still go up every so often just to see if anything else has appeared! :D

Keep us updated on events, my bet is on a mop and bucket combo next:D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

Doing science, and the lecturer mentioned we were going to be in the science building for labs. However he neglected to mention which one is the science building.

Also, I'd bet you scared away the mop and the chair, but if you're really quiet they'll come out =p

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Its across from the old bar. Not sure what lectures are in there but cadavers are kept there:eek:

I think is anatomy (upstairs) and physiology (downstairs) departments - had a module of anatomy in there with Andre Toulouse and a physiology MCQ. Anatomy paper two years ago - he ended up giving us out the paper with the answers, any time I see the man, I end up smiling!

The Mardyke - always makes me smile! As regards the crest, watching a big group of people coming through the arch and seeing them part into two groups, you'll always have a few that will walk on it, but not that many I find!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Aoi wrote: »
    Doing science, and the lecturer mentioned we were going to be in the science building for labs. However he neglected to mention which one is the science building.

Also, I'd bet you scared away the mop and the chair, but if you're really quiet they'll come out =p

It's the Kane building - just in case you're still wondering!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

First time I've heard it, although I generally didn't tend to stray outside the Electrical Engineering building during my stay in UCC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

A particular person who works on reception in the student health centre - you have to laugh or her attitude would have you in tears!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

There's a sticker affixed to one of the black railings outside of the Old Bar, and for some reason it has the word "REJECTED" written on it. Made me laugh anyway. There's also a sticker on an electricity pole near the Mardyke Arena which reads "DANGER! Your Mom knows Kung Fuu". :p

Many of my lecturers are hilarious, so they're a part of UCC that makes me smile. Niall O' Murchadha, Michel VanDyke, Tom Carroll and Alexei Pokrovskii (RIP) are all absolute legends!

I liked when the shop between the restaurant and the Old Bar was simply called "SHOP". It had a big ol' banner above it saying as much, but they changed it this year.

They also added some hilariously redundant signposts inside the Student Centre which made me giggle. One of them is a suspended sign saying "AN STAD", positioned right beside and pointing directly at another sign saying "AN STAD". It's funnier when you see it, have a look for it sometime. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I like how even if you are still a couple of metres away from a door people feel kinda guilty letting it close on you and will hold it for you.

While i dont condone graffiti and all that :P some of the arguements on the toilet doors are brilliant sometimes.

I like how even if you are still a couple of metres away from a door people feel kinda guilty letting it close on you and will hold it for you.

While i dont condone graffiti and all that :P some of the arguements on the toilet doors are brilliant sometimes.

Ya i see it everywhere..In the campus and also the Mardyke. Most people do hold the door for you.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Tom Carroll! He went into a third year abstract algebra class being taught by someone else, sat down at the back alongside a couple of my friends and started chatting away to them, asking them if they were in MS1001 with him, what modules that they were doing, just a general chat and then gave them a hand doing the work as well. Legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

He's a lecturer? Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Tom Carroll! He went into a third year abstract algebra class being taught by someone else, sat down at the back alongside a couple of my friends and started chatting away to them, asking them if they were in MS1001 with him, what modules that they were doing, just a general chat and then gave them a hand doing the work as well. Legend!

Any story involving Tom Carroll is great I think. And he's such a lovely guy as well, he always says hi to me even though he doesn't know me :P

On a Maths-related note, I think it's great what the Maths department did with Professor Alexei Pokrovskii's webpage. There's a page with a few dedications on it. I know it's nothing bug, but I still think it was a lovely thing to do.

Advertisement