Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

festivals/ holy days

Options
  • 24-09-2010 9:10am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭

All this talk of christmas lately reminded me - does anyone here follow buddhist holy days? What I mean to say is after my reading on it, it seems a lot of them are very regionalised, so it depends what country you're in. Doesn't seem to be any universal ones? Am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

I briefly looked into this a while ago. It seems the main day that is universally celebrated is for the birth, enlightenment and death of the Buddha. Its called Visakha in Theravada countries, Saga Dawa in Tibet. Dates vary.
    Tibetans celebrate 4 major festivals in the year around aspects of the Buddhas life.
    There is also a day to celebrate the end of the rains retreat which the Buddha undertook during the monsoon season. I think that is mainly a Theravadan one.
    New Year festivals are ubiquitous in all cultures and are incorporated in Buddhist traditions and again, the dates vary.

Advertisement