Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Steriliser V Microwave Sterliser

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

In my opinion, I wouldn't buy either, only because soaking in Milton and/or boiling properly works just as well. It's cheaper & means you don't have (yet another) appliance taking up space. Of course it's slightly more effort...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We have both and the microwave sterilising bottles.
    My choice is not to use milton unless I really have to.

http://mothercare.ie/ContentBuilder/DisplayPage.aspx?DataId=DA000057&view=detail&ProductID=PR000005&UniqueID=110 was the best that we found and then one of the small lunch box steam/milton sterilisers for travelling.
    I have an avent one too but it only kept things sterilised for 3 hours and I didn't premake bottles this meant I was putting it on multiple times a day and waiting for it to finish so invest in the 48 hour one.The avent iq 24 hour one is supposed to be great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

I used a mircowave one...picked it up in TKmaxx for a tenner and it was the best thing. Very easy to use, easy to clean, easy to store, kept things sterilsed for 24hrs, held alot of bottles. Was great taking away on holidays etc. Have to say it was probably my best baby buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

we use the microwave thingie too.
    Brill invention. Everything zapped in 6 minutes.

And for holidays now we have given up on bringing the microwave sterilizor and use milton tablets instead as a stop gap.
    theres no need for a microwave at your destination (and which hotel has a microwave anyhow?) and no need to be taking up weight and space in checked in luggage that is better used for other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

cowhands wrote: »
    I used a mircowave one...picked it up in TKmaxx for a tenner and it was the best thing. Very easy to use, easy to clean, easy to store, kept things sterilsed for 24hrs, held alot of bottles. Was great taking away on holidays etc. Have to say it was probably my best baby buy.

I'll second that. Microwave one makes sense... I think we paid 24 quid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Collumbo wrote: »
    I'll second that. Microwave one makes sense... I think we paid 24 quid for it.

the philips avent one is currently on special in argos for €25.99, got the last one reserved up there and gona pick it up today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Travel-Steriliser_120978/?exploreAttributes=-_--_--_--_-Mother%20%26%20Baby%20%3E%20Baby%20Feeding%20%3E%20Sterilisers%20%26%20Warmers-_--_-List-_--_--_--_-Left%20Nav-_-

this is what we used for traveling,it definitely counts as a best buy.It is compact and can be used in microwave or with milton.

Boots is worth a look too - not sure about roi prices but the tommee tippee microwave one is only £11 on sale atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Have Tommee Tippee microwave one and it's served us through two babies :) Just about to finish on number 2 as she's starting to lick the floor now... hot soapy water it will be from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Had both, Microwave one all the way, ours was Avent. It is easier to carry around if you need to and you dont need to worry if it falls to the floor!

Not to mention cheaper on you and the enviroment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

We used the Avent microwave steriliser. Its nice and compact and is stored away in the microwave out of sight when not in use (and when in use too I suppose!)

Can't fault it!

• Advertisement

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Had both, Microwave one all the way, ours was Avent. It is easier to carry around if you need to and you dont need to worry if it falls to the floor!

Not to mention cheaper on you and the enviroment :D
    We used the Avent microwave steriliser. Its nice and compact and is stored away in the microwave out of sight when not in use (and when in use too I suppose!)

Can't fault it!

just picked it up in Argos, thanks everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Gah I'm a bit late to this thread...Anyway we bought an Electric Avent steriliser and now I wish I'd just picked up an electric vegetable steamer instead as that would have doubled up for sterilising baby bottles and also steaming veg for my daughter's meals. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Gah I'm a bit late to this thread...Anyway we bought an Electric Avent steriliser and now I wish I'd just picked up an electric vegetable steamer instead as that would have doubled up for sterilising baby bottles and also steaming veg for my daughter's meals. :)

Yeah, I was wondering about that. What does a steriliser do that a steamer basket doesn't? Is it just that the contents are sterile until the steamer's opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

NextSteps wrote: »
    Yeah, I was wondering about that. What does a steriliser do that a steamer basket doesn't? Is it just that the contents are sterile until the steamer's opened?

Well that's what they claim but to be honest, my steriliser has an air vent to let steam out...so air can get in, meaning that once it stops steaming, it's not sterile in the true meaning of the word.

I was in Ireland visiting my family for the last two weeks and was using the vegetable steamer in my parent's house thinking to myself 'Why didn't I think of this before I bought a steriliser?' :D

NextSteps wrote: »

the microwave steriliser also states in the books that the contents remain sterile for 24 hours if left unopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

i loved my avent steam electric steriliser, and used if for my two boys (who are 17 months apart) only got rid of it last week my youngest is 3 and 9 months, it was hard getting ridof it, but i ain't having another one, so no point in keeping it.

Advertisement