Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian course at Sandford Language Institute

Options
  • 23-09-2010 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

Has anybody here done either of the Norwegian evening courses at Sandford Language Institute? I'm moving to Norway early next year and need to scrub up on my Norwegian before I go. I've already enrolled, but would like to hear some reviews from people who have actually done it before.

All feedback welcome, positive or negative.

Link: http://www.sandfordlanguages.ie/courses/Evening/Norwegian

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Expensive but of a reasonable standard is the feedback that I've heard.

What part of Norway are you moving to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

Dyflin wrote: »
    Expensive but of a reasonable standard is the feedback that I've heard.

What part of Norway are you moving to?

The price doesn't bother me. It's a good investment, once I learn. Thanks for the reply.

I was supposed to be moving to Hammerfest, yes, Hammerfest. I had an engineering job lined up over there. After being to Oslo a few times though, I realised that's the place for me. I absolutely love it there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Hammerfest ? Hopefully you should be able to get a job further south to avoid living in total darknes during the winter :)

Hammerfest ? Hopefully you should be able to get a job further south to avoid living in total darknes during the winter :)

Thank you. I have a job pretty much lined up in Oslo. I should be starting early next year. That gives me plenty of time to prepare. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Hi, sorry I missed this thread completely and I imagine you've started the course already. I took the course in SLI in Norwegian. It's very good (which is lucky as it's the only one I could find). There is a lot of working from the book, though the book is quite good. The teacher Bjorn is great and full of fun facts that make the language more interesting.

Say hej to Bjorn for me! :)

• Advertisement

legologic wrote: »
    Hi, sorry I missed this thread completely and I imagine you've started the course already. I took the course in SLI in Norwegian. It's very good (which is lucky as it's the only one I could find). There is a lot of working from the book, though the book is quite good. The teacher Bjorn is great and full of fun facts that make the language more interesting.

Say hej to Bjorn for me! :)

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I started the course about 6 or 7 weeks ago and am loving it. I can't believe how much I've learned already. Bjorn is a fantastic teacher. I would definitely recommend the course to anyone else who may be interested in doing it. It's well worth the money.

- Will do. It'd help if I knew your name though. ^^ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

Hi

Sorry to steal this thread but I am also looking into the Sandyford langauge institute for Swedish lessions. Has anyone studied Swedish here and if so how was it.could yourecommend it

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

As a matter of interest, how many people are usually on the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

I am learning Swedish at the Sandford Language Institute...nice class, nice teacher and all mean well but it's very slow going as there is such a mixed bunch in the class...people with language qualifications who pick it up quickly, others with no prior language learning experience or grasp for languages who hold things up...2 months in and we are still not much further than our name, where we are from and the alphabet...

Aard wrote: »

There were about 20 people when the course started. We're down to about 5 regulars now. I think some people thought it would be easier than it actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

shnethb wrote: »
    Hi

Sorry to steal this thread but I am also looking into the Sandyford langauge institute for Swedish lessions. Has anyone studied Swedish here and if so how was it.could yourecommend it

Many thanks

I'm doing the Swedish course at the moment. It's very similar to Norwegian but a little bit more difficult. For this reason I think the course does not progress as fast as the Norwegian course. There's also bigger numbers in the Swedish class. Don't let that put you off though, the course is quite thorough and there are 3 further levels of progression you can do.
    Aard wrote: »

When I done it it started out with maybe 10 but by the end there was only 3 or 4 of us that finished it I think. Very strange as I thought is was quite good. I even made the journey over to Ranelagh from the north side for the classes. I must say though it is nice to only have to go as far as Merrion Sq for the Swedish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

Anyone any idea where one can learn Norwegian in Cork?
    :D

Advertisement