Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV first fix on a house

Options
  • 23-09-2010 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hello,

I am first fixing the wiring on my new house and am wondering about wiring for security cameras. The house is a 2 storey house in the country. I have all my cat 6 cables up in the attic. I was thinking that I could mount ethernet cameras under the soffit afterwards if I wanted security cameras.

Would the cameras be better suited to going at the joist level for a better angle to work at. Will 1 cat 6 cable do for a camera (power over ethernet) or are RG coax cables still required.

Thanks for your guidance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Cat 6 will be fine, would you consider pole mounting the cameras away from the house.
    How high will the cameras be and what function will they serve

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

gouch wrote: »
    Hello,

I am first fixing the wiring on my new house and am wondering about wiring for security cameras. The house is a 2 storey house in the country. I have all my cat 6 cables up in the attic. I was thinking that I could mount ethernet cameras under the soffit afterwards if I wanted security cameras.

Would the cameras be better suited to going at the joist level for a better angle to work at. Will 1 cat 6 cable do for a camera (power over ethernet) or are RG coax cables still required.

Thanks for your guidance.

The cat6 cable will work for the camera but your better off running a power cable for the camera also. You can also get a camera that uses PoE to save you running the extra cable. Shop around for prices is your best option. You can get cameras with a longer range for the distance you require from the sofit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 gouch

Cameras would be about 16 feet from the ground. My entrance is higher than the level of my house by about 7 or eight feet. The entrance is about 30 metres from the corner of the house.

The purpose of the cameras is to deter/ watch unwanted visitors as I may be away with work from time to time.

I there an issue with cameras that are too high with too much of an angle pointing down, a baseball cap will mean the camera will see nothing??

Is it possible to have a camera and door bell push interlinked, i.e. everytime the pushbutton is pressed, an image will be recorded or a time period will be recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Some day/night domes with infrared will work fine under the soffit. You will use one pair for the wires for the video and another pair for the power but you may need to double up if there's too much voltage drop, that's only if you dont power them locally.
    Your dvr will have a built in motion detect facility so whenever someone approaches the door it will start to record. Alternatively if you pole mounted a camera and pointed it to the gate samsung do a nice camera that will zoom in on the gate whenever someone or something passes through the gate giving you a very detailed picture, complete with reg number if needed

gouch wrote: »
    Cameras would be about 16 feet from the ground. My entrance is higher than the level of my house by about 7 or eight feet. The entrance is about 30 metres from the corner of the house.

The purpose of the cameras is to deter/ watch unwanted visitors as I may be away with work from time to time.

I there an issue with cameras that are too high with too much of an angle pointing down, a baseball cap will mean the camera will see nothing??

Is it possible to have a camera and door bell push interlinked, i.e. everytime the pushbutton is pressed, an image will be recorded or a time period will be recorded.

If thats the case your better off having them on all the time rather than just setting them up for motion. Lighting could also be an issue so motion detection lights outside will be a must.

You could also get something like this for your door but the viewing angle might be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

altor wrote: »
    If thats the case your better off having them on all the time rather than just setting them up for motion. Lighting could also be an issue so motion detection lights outside will be a must.

You could also get something like this for your door but the viewing angle might be an issue.
    It appears this website is not functioning properly and you cannot view the picture altor was referring to. A camera faceing downwards like a dome might do. like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Colm_purchase

altor wrote: »

Hi All. Was having some grave issues with my website yesterday but Im glad to announce these issues have now been fully resolved so the above link is now working again.
    Cheers,
    Colm

Hi All. Was having some grave issues with my website yesterday but Im glad to announce these issues have now been fully resolved so the above link is now working again.
    Cheers,
    Colm

Thanks Colm,

Good to see you have it working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 stepbystep

Heya Colm

Thats a really nice tidy unit, didnt no yale done a system like that, thats gone and put a lil smile on my face, not easy to do this early in the morning, been looking for something like that for awhile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Colm_purchase

stepbystep wrote: »
    Heya Colm

Thats a really nice tidy unit, didnt no yale done a system like that, thats gone and put a lil smile on my face, not easy to do this early in the morning, been looking for something like that for awhile

Glad it brightened up your morning:)
    Mind you I havn't had a sale of this item over the last few days.
    Hopefully Mr Cowen reassuring words will lead to an influx of enquires. Might be a lot of people moving country for 5 years and might need a security device to keep an eye on things for them.
    Not sure if the memory on the SD card will be sufficient though:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement