Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License. Guy knocking on doors with reminders?

Options
  • 23-09-2010 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so i'm sitting at home a minute ago with my brother and my sister. Parents are away on holiday. I'm not the house-holder and i don't take care of the bills.

A knock comes to the door and my brother answers it. "Are your parents home?". I go to the door and he says "I'm from the Post Office, your TV license has expired and we're just going around people and reminding them just in case they didn't know."

Now, this guy started asking me strange questions. Do i live in the house? Who else lives in the house? How many adults etc.

This was a strange situation because i'd never heard of this happening before. If you've no license, don't they just knock on your door and say "here's a fine for you, have a good day".

In my complete stupidity, i never asked to see ID.

After he goes away, my sister tells me that her boyfriend's mother had a similar knock on her door claiming to be a guy from Eircom....... who was a few days later caught trying to rob someone's house.

Maybe the last part is just feeding my paranoia, but can anyone shed light on this situation? Are the Post Office sending dudes around knocking on doors?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A simple phone call to HQ should tell you an answer to that.
    (ask for a name or id number of those that are being sent out!)

And just because they have ID, that does not mean they have to enter your home - they shouldn't have to!
    On the ID make sure its checked, looks genuine, has a picture that don't look like its been slipped in or cheap looking.

Long story short: Be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

they normally show id as soon as u answer the door,might be no harm to gives the cops a buzz,this freak coud be hanging around with no good intentions,also check with ur neighbours if he called there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Did he fiddle in his trouser pockets excessively?

Something like this will happen to you tonight...

Seriously though, doesn't sound right to me, he should have shown you the ID without being asked. Ring up and ask if they are doing anything like that, if not be on guard, tell other family members about it just incase something does happen, especially if you told the man your parents are away on hols..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Now, this guy started asking me strange questions. Do i live in the house? Who else lives in the house? How many adults etc.

When you ring them, ask them if these questions are standard procedure.

I bet they aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Biggins wrote: »
    A simple phone call to HQ should tell you an answer to that.
    (ask for a name or id number of those that are being sent out!)

And just because they have ID, that does not mean they have to enter your home - they shouldn't have to!
    On the ID make sure its checked, looks genuine, has a picture that don't look like its been slipped in or cheap looking.

Long story short: Be careful.

Well there was no way he was coming into my house, i'd never have let him. No matter what kinda ID he had.

Although i told him i had a TV. Whatever the reason the license is lapsed, it's not because my parents are dodging it. They always pay it. He'd never have been getting into my house.

But yeah, thinking back i really should've asked to see his ID anyway.
    they normally show id as soon as u answer the door,might be no harm to gives the cops a buzz,this freak coud be hanging around with no good intentions,also check with ur neighbours if he called there

I went back out and he didnt knock at any other doors on my (small) street. He walked around the corner.

Indeed, an inquiring/informing call to to your local gardi station might not go a miss.
    You never know, they might be trying to locate such a possible chancer. You could make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

What age are you?
    Chances are it was a real fella and you looked like you could've been a college student who never bothered getting a licence etc.

Though if you're concerened, no harm in giving them a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

What age are you?
    Chances are it was a real fella and you looked like you could've been a college student who never bothered getting a licence etc.

Though if you're concerened, no harm in giving them a ring.

You're a trusting soul. The number of adults in a house doesn't change the licence fee. He was a potential burglar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

make sure u double check the windows and doors tonight

• Advertisement

Question: Had he got his ID on him hanging around his neck or pinned to him very visibly?
    If not and with/without the strange questioning, I'd still be VERY suspicious.

Give the Gardi a bell, and do your nation a favour.

See, i live in a dodgy spot anyway. Where people know my parents are away and would be more than willing to come a-knocking to an empty house.

I'll ring the Guards now and see what the craic is.

Biggins, he no speak with forked tongue.

Question: Had he got his ID on him hanging around his neck or pinned to him very visibly?
    If not and with/without the strange questioning, I'd still be VERY suspicious.

Nope, nothing on show. I've no idea why i didn't ask for it because my first reaction to anyone else would be "Did you ask for ID?".

Off to call the police!

Good. Better safe than sorry.
    They might send a car around tonight every once in a while a bit more just to keep an eye on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Confab wrote: »
    You're a trusting soul. The number of adults in a house doesn't change the licence fee. He was a potential burglar.

I know.
    But a legit inspector might be a bit suspect over a 20 something year old coming up with excuses at the door. Which could explain the questioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

A girl i worked with recently, her husband worked with an post! she told me once he had to fill in for one of these inspector guys for a week's holiday cover,

she told me he hated it, as soon as he flashed his id and said who he was doors were slammed in his face, :D

but they gave him a temporary ID for 1 weeks work so the guy should have flashed it at you ;)

I know.
    But a legit inspector might be a bit suspect over a 20 something year old coming up with excuses at the door. Which could explain the questioning.

Well, if he had the proper records, he would know by looking at me i am not the man who he has down on his record as being the billpayer.

I hardly look like a 60 year old man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Ok, so i'm sitting at home a minute ago with my brother and my sister. Parents are away on holiday. I'm not the house-holder and i don't take care of the bills.

A knock comes to the door and my brother answers it. "Are your parents home?". I go to the door and he says "I'm from the Post Office, your TV license has expired and we're just going around people and reminding them just in case they didn't know."

This was a strange situation because i'd never heard of this happening before. If you've no license, don't they just knock on your door and say "here's a fine for you, have a good day".

In my complete stupidity, i never asked to see ID.

After he goes away, my sister tells me that her boyfriend's mother had a similar knock on her door claiming to be a guy from Eircom....... who was a few days later caught trying to rob someone's house.

Maybe the last part is just feeding my paranoia, but can anyone shed light on this situation? Are the Post Office sending dudes around knocking on doors?
    15 year old boy and you watch ufc lol, i'm disgusted, you should of ground impounded the cnt

Well, if he had the proper records, he would know by looking at me i am not the man who he has down on his record as being the billpayer.

I hardly look like a 60 year old man.

They won't know how old the licence-payer is.

It doesn't appear anywhere on their records.

• Advertisement

digme wrote: »
    and you watch ufc lol, i'm disgusted, you should of ground impounded the cnt

I should've walked to the door in a Tapout shirt, then he'd have never come back :P

They won't know how old the licence-payer is.

It doesn't appear anywhere on their records.

You're sure?

I'm not sure what kinda of details there are but he knew the name of the billpayer at least. He was able to tell me my father's name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

tapout motha faka

What's the craic?

You're sure?

I'm not sure what kinda of details there are but he knew the name of the billpayer at least. He was able to tell me my father's name.

I have a TV licence. Name, address, that's all you give them.

What's the craic?
    http://www.ireland-fun-facts.com/craic.html
    ...But I suspect you knew that! :P

http://www.ireland-fun-facts.com/craic.html
    ...But I suspect you knew that! :P

Just had a peep at that site, and I didn't know this:
    “The craic was ninety on the Isle of Man,” warbles Christy Moore in a well-known ditty (ninety = mighty).

I always wondered what "ninety" meant in that phrase.

Just had a peep at that site, and I didn't know this:
    I always wondered what "ninety" meant in that phrase.
    ...Glad to be of service. :D

What's the craic?

Just rang them there.

They had heard of no such practice and expressed surprise, although he did say that if it were the Post Office they wouldn't be required to inform the Garda if they were knocking on doors.

He asked me for a description and he said he would look into it and see if he had been knocking on others doors etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I had a TV licence inspector call a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember did he flash ID at me - I wasn't too worried. If I thought he was suspicious I'd have set the kids on him and then the dog to finish him off. He had a clipboard and marked the address off on it and wrote me a yellow slip giving me three weeks to stump up. Slim chance, fat chance and no chance.

Advertisement