Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing Car Advice

Options
  • 23-09-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Hi guys and girls,

I know boardsies are probably sick to death of threads like this but here goes.

Im currently driving a 1.4 golf and im about to start a new job which requires me to commute approxametely 280 miles (450km) a week so im looking to change up to something which would be better able to handle the more miles.

I was wondering what you all would reccomend, my price range tops out at 5-7k i suppose i dont want to go too nuts before i get paid.
    Realisticly i will have to take a loan to get it so i would like to keep it as low as possible without comprimising on a decent car.
    Im 22 by the way just out of college and will have 3years no claims in december.

Any suggestions/opinions would be great.

Really to be honest i have been looking at a bit of everything, i would like something with high spec just for comfort and would probably be happy enough to go a year lower for a higher spec.
    Im not fussy hathback or saloon as long as its reliable and economical.

What i have been looking at is

Golf 1.9tdi
    Peugeot 407 hdi 2.0
    Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi
    Skoda Suberb 1.9tdi
    Honda Accord CTDI 2.2 (bit put off with the tax on the 2.2)
    BMW 320d
    Audi A4

Anything i might be missing or anything you think i should steer clear of would be great!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is there anything wrong with your current car? 450km/week isn't that much, i'd be thinking of seeing how the new job/commute goes for a while first.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

No there is nothing wrong with it at all, i just thought that 450km a week on a 1.4 that has currently 150k km (92km miles) on the clock would not be the best for the car or for the resale of the car at a later date and something like a diesel would be able to handle the more miles, be more efficent and have a higher resale value when the time came.

It comes down to about 18k miles (29k km) inculding personal use at weekends (allowing 6k for pesonal use and 12k miles for work purposes) thats why i would be looking at changing up is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

noone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Well I've an Accord diesel and I do 25K miles per year. Changed from a 1.8 petrol Civic and save 30 euro per week in fuel. Tax is 300 more per year though. Both cars 2006. Very reliable and comfortable car. Thats my 2 cents anyway:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Niall F

I've a VW Passat 1.9TDI which is very comfortable and very economical. Do minimum of 350miles per week. Although I'm hoping to change it, I really can't find fault with it.
    But I'd imagine a 1.9 engine will be very expensive to insure for a 22 year old. I'd get some insurance quotes before getting the car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement