Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Friendly Wave

Options
  • 23-09-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

Over the last couple of days I've waved to at least a dozen other campervan drivers, both left and right hand drive, whilst in the Achill Island area and I didn't see a single one wave back !.

Come on folks just a little wave as a sign of friendship. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

A smile and a wave cost nothing. I always wave, If I'm in a good mood I might even flash the lights.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Aye - have definitely noticed that very few motorhome/camperdrivers wave any more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

Over the last couple of days I've waved to at least a dozen other campervan drivers, both left and right hand drive, whilst in the Achill Island area and I didn't see a single one wave back !.

Come on folks just a little wave as a sign of friendship. :)

I have noticed the same atitude these days, a friendly wave or a flash of lights, sometimes brings no response. I have been motor caravanning for over 30 years and in the beginning you got a wave and a flash of lights as you passed. Some people will say a wave may distract you when driving, but a flash of lights will also do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

You can't beat a quick flash. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Aye - have definitely noticed that very few motorhome/camperdrivers wave any more :(

Have noticed that British and European get a bit of a fright if you flash the lights and a wave is def not expected by majority of them.

Have found that majority of Irish will wave and if they dont wave back then I am usually glad that they are going in the opposite direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

since we have started bringing out our " brinks van" out and about on short spins to get used to it we have been radomly waving at campers but got nothing back - again though we are still looking like the cash in transit van although the decals arrived today for the sides of it so it might brighten it up a bit.

Heading for Doolin on Sat so if anyone sees us give us a wave or a flash;)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

Enjoy Doolin. Weather looks good for weekend. I am heading for Tralee myself.
    "The Brinks Van" will do the same job as the new 2010 motorhome. Hope you have lost of enjoyment with it. I
    started back in 1972 with a old commer ambulance and had a ball from Nord Cap to Morocco and all places in between, & still enjoying mysef.

Great response.

Just one finger raised from the steering wheel, this is quite acceptable, doesn't have to be the whole hand.

Let's get the ball (finger) moving. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Great response.

Just one finger raised from the steering wheel, this is quite acceptable, doesn't have to be the whole hand.

Let's get the ball (finger) moving. :)

Depends on the finger that's raised!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

I always give the finger... err ahemm... I mean wave to all other Campers..

I met one yesterday that took it to the extreme... thye flashed lights and at least 10 hands were waving at me like mad and beeped horn as well... seemed to be having fun anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

i dont know where you lot do be.
    we always get a wave , whether we wave first or not even in n.ireland a few weeks ago.
    campers are like bikers they always salute one another.
    keep waving.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I met many campers over the last couple of weeks, heading to Lough Key, Parsons Green and The Apple.

All of them waved and flashed back:D:D

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

while queuing to get out of Mont st michel in brittany this summer we squeezed in front of an italian camper he was doing a lot of waving :)

we always give a wave and most of the time get one back
    also i find if you ask a fellow van owner about their van they are more than happy to tell whatthey think of it,i have been offered many a class of wine and the full tour just by saying hi to my neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

back from Doolin - had a blast stayed in Nagles and I think I am suffering from Vodka poisoning!! We waved like lunatics on a day release from the mental at anything which even remotely resembled a camper - got a few waves back and a few confused looks:confused:

Lisdoonvarna was alive with campers - they were everywhere and I mean parked everywhere - think we suffered repetitive strain injury from waving in Lisdoonvarna!!

how the hell do ye all manage to drive on our death trap of roads - don't know how I managed to steer around the hairpin bends on the mountain - think I drove most of the time with my eyes closed!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

In Doolin also at the weekend, everyone we met waved back. As regards the narrow roads, they would not be such a problem if the on coming cars stayed on their side of the road. Those brambles really do scratch the side of the van.

Bessa wrote: »
    In Doolin also at the weekend, everyone we met waved back. As regards the narrow roads, they would not be such a problem if the on coming cars stayed on their side of the road. Those brambles really do scratch the side of the van.

Narrow roads ?. No problem at all, mind you, I do only have a 2berth Romahome :D.

With regards to other people saying they always get a wave, when I started this thread I was only talking about my 2 day experience on Achill island, not the whole country although I do find that a lot of other camper drivers don't bother. Yes very friendly when parked but I still say let's all wave :).

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Was out in the camper over the weekend, must have passed about a dozen other 'vans over the weekend, mostly Irish reg'd...only 2 waved, and they were both foreign reg...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BrenCooney

Was up in Wicklow over the weekend and had and waves of waves and often a flash of the lights from nearly everbody we met. Does this indicate a friendlier group go to the east!?

BrenC

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Usually flash & wave, but sometimes totally tunneled on the road as the eternal battle between good & evil is centered just behind me..kids.. :mad:
    Sometimes I stop that battle with AC/DC... hehe... or Joe Dolan..
    also i find if you ask a fellow van owner about their van they are more than happy to tell whatthey think of it,i have been offered many a class of wine and the full tour just by saying hi to my neighbour

one of the best nights we had was in Portsmouth with a retired couple & their Aussie friend, one in Vietnam war, one in Korean war, they shared amazing stories & advice, you can meet great people!

Was out in the camper over the weekend, must have passed about a dozen other 'vans over the weekend, mostly Irish reg'd...only 2 waved, and they were both foreign reg...

Thank you Dolly.......,
    I was starting to think it was just me they ignored. Thought I'd have to change my deo.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement