Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Cat Food? - Royal Canin

Options
  • 23-09-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

Hi, would anyone know the cheapest place to buy cat food? In Dublin, or even on the web. e.g. Royal Canin dry food. Typically you have to go to a Pet Shop to get this, and it tends to cost €18 and upwards.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

donaghs wrote: »
    Hi, would anyone know the cheapest place to buy cat food? In Dublin, or even on the web. e.g. Royal Canin dry food. Typically you have to go to a Pet Shop to get this, and it tends to cost €18 and upwards.

I know it's not in dublin but I used get a 2kg bag of outdoor 30 for €17 in Pet discount warehouse just off N7 in Naas.
    But lately I've be getting a 10kg for €52 which works out at a €35 overall saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

donaghs wrote: »

Any help greatly appreciated.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/royal_canin/192605

Hope this helps! They do 10kg.... which should last around 6 months for €57 plus 10% off your first order and free delivery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you're buying the big bags, and you've only one or two cats, buy an airtight tub like the biggest biscuit tub ever, or go to a farm feed store and find a storage tub there. Kibble does have a shelf life, and it will go off, and it will go stale left in an open bag.

You really want to feed kibble within six weeks of opening the bag (and that's if you store it properly). It's not like a dehydrated product that lasts until kingdom come. Kibble is coated with oils to make it palatable, and those oils can go rancid for starters, as well as the biscuit itself going stale and soft. It also needs to be kept dry as wet kibble can be a breeding ground for bacteria.

If it gets wet, if it's past its use-by date, or if it's been there and open for months, throw it out. Having to take your animal to the vet because it's ill will negate any bulk buying savings you made!

Also, even if you decant the bag into an air-tight tub, keep the batch code from the bag. It's a safety measure in case your brand of petfood is ever involved in a recall.

With Royal Canin, the bulk bags are definitely cheaper per kg than the smaller ones - I usually buy a few 4kg bags, but have just bought a 15kg bag for my moggies (six of them) and should manage to use that up within six weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭wopper10

Mollys.ie is in fact the cheapest for royal canin in Ireland. I saw they're prices and stand at the pet expo....

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

i just went up north and couldnt beleave the savings i got from a pet shop in newry!!! its a wholesale big pet store and for 11euro i got a 3kg bag of hills puppy mini food and then a 12kg bag for 20 euro my vet was offering me hills for 12kg 40 odd euro and 25 for the 3kg!!! zooplus has it a bit cheaper! also got some RC for very cheap to! i was pretty impressed with the prices there!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Would you not feed it meat scraps from the kitchen table... like what cats were fed on before the invention of pet food? I'm sure its the cheapest and probably healthier option too.

oppenheimer, meat scraps from the kitchen table are not a balanced diet for a cat. First, cooked meat loses much taurine, a vital amino acid without which cats go blind, sicken and die. A long-term restricted diet of only meat scraps will cause the cat to be taurine deficient, calcium deficient and vitamin E deficient.

A raw diet is an excellent plan for cats, including raw muscle meat, raw bone, and raw offal - liver, heart, kidneys, tripe, etc. If you can't supply that diet in a balanced format, and your cats do not have free outdoor access, you need to feed them an AAFCO-approved petfood to ensure they do not suffer a nutritional imbalance.

Most cats that used to be fed kitchen scraps were outdoor cats, with a major pest control role - they would eat many of the mice, lizards, frogs and birds they caught, thereby supplementing their own diet with the appropriate food required to keep them healthy over the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

oppenheimer, meat scraps from the kitchen table are not a balanced diet for a cat. First, cooked meat loses much taurine, a vital amino acid without which cats go blind, sicken and die. A long-term restricted diet of only meat scraps will cause the cat to be taurine deficient, calcium deficient and vitamin E deficient.

A raw diet is an excellent plan for cats, including raw muscle meat, raw bone, and raw offal - liver, heart, kidneys, tripe, etc. If you can't supply that diet in a balanced format, and your cats do not have free outdoor access, you need to feed them an AAFCO-approved petfood to ensure they do not suffer a nutritional imbalance.

Most cats that used to be fed kitchen scraps were outdoor cats, with a major pest control role - they would eat many of the mice, lizards, frogs and birds they caught, thereby supplementing their own diet with the appropriate food required to keep them healthy over the long term.

Well give them raw meat scraps, but it is nonsense to suggest that a cat will become mineral deficient if only given brand name pet food.

If the kitchen is not producing enough scrap then bulk out cat food with the scraps, you could make a bag of nuts last a whole lot longer this way.

Keeping the batch code, bit of overkill don't you think.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Our guys get raw liver in the morning and hills cat food for their evening meal. It's not too bad, it's gone down to €17.99 for the 2kg, 34.99 for the 5kg where i get it. Raw liver's very good for their immune system and they love it.

Well give them raw meat scraps, but it is nonsense to suggest that a cat will become mineral deficient if only given brand name pet food.

You didn't read what I wrote properly. I said if you feed them ONLY raw scraps of meat (e.g. no bone, no liver, no fat, no offal) they will become mineral deficient, so you SHOULD feed them AAFCO-approved food if you're not feeding them balanced raw food.
    Keeping the batch code, bit of overkill don't you think.

No.

There was a huge pet food recall in 2007 and have been a number of smaller recalls since. Pet food companies source their ingredients from the cheapest sources. The 2007 recall was around vegetable proteins contaminated with melamine, and it was causing pets to become ill and die. Other recalls have been around fear of kidney failure in pets fed kibble that includes ingredients from sources who are not maintaining standards and the ingredients become contaminated.

All you need to do is cut the batch code off the bag and drop it into the
    kibble bin. It's hardly earth-shatteringly difficult.

If you have the batch code, you know whether the 10kg bin of kibble is part of the recall or not. If it's not, you can keep feeding it. If it is, you need to throw it out lest continuing to eat it will cause illness in your pet. Being in the situation of going 'oh maybe he looks fine, I'll just keep feeding it, I don't have the batch code but I don't want to throw out 10kgs of food' could lead to a dead animal - cats don't exhibit many symptoms of renal failure until they're nearly dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 conordonovan

sophie1234 wrote: »
    i just went up north and couldnt beleave the savings i got from a pet shop in newry!!! its a wholesale big pet store and for 11euro i got a 3kg bag of hills puppy mini food and then a 12kg bag for 20 euro my vet was offering me hills for 12kg 40 odd euro and 25 for the 3kg!!! zooplus has it a bit cheaper! also got some RC for very cheap to! i was pretty impressed with the prices there!!

Hi just wondering the name of the pet store in Newry?

Advertisement