Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do the work?

Options
  • 23-09-2010 8:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

Do you?

story behind why?
    I was in france a few years ago working down south near narbonne, Nice part of the world. recommend a visit i was working as a cook in villa feeding a bunch of amateurs, photographer...

There was this one photographer who was 78 drove down from england to south of france at that age he was a top bloke...

Any way, he's been programing since the early 70s for IBM and was a really intelligent dude.
    He was like me, dyslexic could see coding in his head, as well as having an out of the box view on things.

Any way he said to me as he was, leaving "do the work"..

I had no idea what he meant bye this at the time... Having since gone back to college, I now, get what he was saying. Work your nuts of at something you'le go places be lazy unproductive you wont... so my question for you Ah..
    Is

Do you or have you done the work and gotten to places you wanted to be have got what you wanted for example (Money, nice car, nice watch's, suits villa in a hot country etc) Or are you still working to get to were, you want to be?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm less worried about getting places then enjoying myself and having a happy (ish) life.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm pretty happy where I am. If I could do what I do for another 10-20 years or so that'd be fine (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Anyway my brain hurt whilst trying to understand that.

I've been lucky enough in life so far. I mean, it's not perfect but things have just fallen into place for me over the years. I got a crappy job initially and through that moved to the UK and moved up in the company I work for. I live in a nice flat in London and have plenty of disposable income, essentially have all I could ask for and all pretty much on chance really.

Now 2 weeks ago I was told I was being made redundant along with 34 other people in my firm. Now this would be a bad thing clearly but my redundancy (and a stonkingly huge redundancy package which made me cackle out loud) is coming at exactly the same time as when I was planning on quitting and leaving to go travel for a year so once again things have fallen into place.

*shrugs* Maybe all the bad **** is gonna come in the next 30 years or so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I see point, but cannot SEE point so again not sure how to comment.

EDIT: Oh work vs play? Yeah. Er....."work to live, don't live to work" as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I just want a job doing something that I enjoy that pays ok. Im not overly materialistic. Family and friends are whats important in life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sorry Snow, I don't get you :confused:
    Are you asking about job vs something you enjoy doing, or are you asking are we where we want to be in life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

bluewolf wrote: »
    Sorry Snow, I don't get you :confused:
    Are you asking about job vs something you enjoy doing, or are you asking are we where we want to be in life?
    What hes saying is that you have to work hard to reach success in life.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are we ambitious?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

<distasteful comment removed> sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Did the people in this thread genuinely not understand the op or did they just want to take this opportunity to be dick heads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Did the people in this thread genuinely not understand the op or did they just want to take this opportunity to be dick heads?

The latter. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

In other words, do you have a job or a career?
    Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway Anyway !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

SugarHigh wrote: »

I didn't see any dickhead comments. A couple of smart/funny comments alright.

I didn't understand the question either as it happens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What hes saying is that you have to work hard to reach success in life

Personally speaking, I didn't understand the OP. Ok? Can we stop yelling grammar nazi every time someone gets confused? I'm well aware SM has dyslexia and I'm not interested in picking on him.
    Or maybe I should just keep my mouth shut and not want to join in the discussion just in case someone thinks I'm being mean :rolleyes:

As for job vs career it depends on what you want in life. The saying "work to live, not live to work" comes to mind. :D
    I know I like what I do and success for me probably means happiness and comfortable living. I'm not the build a fortune type.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

As long as I've got my health, my millions of dollars, my gold house, and my rocket car, I don't need anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The grammar police be callin', yo

Eh... isn't there a mention in the AH charter about grammar nazis? As a Mod, I would have expected you to have read that, or at the very least have read the OP, where it clearly states that he's dyslexic & not made such an ass of a comment.

I know Snow Monkey's well able to stand up for himself, but I had to say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Eh... isn't there a mention in the AH charter about grammar nazis? As a Mod, I would have expected you to have read that, or at the very least have read the OP, where it clearly states that he's dyslexic & not made such an ass of a comment.

I know Snow Monkey's well able to stand up for himself, but I had to say something.
    Not to mention that the OP stated that he's dyslexic. Bit of perspective, yo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Do you?

story behinde why?

I was in francea few years ago working down south near narbonne Nice part of the world. recommend a visit.....

any way i was working with photographer amitures i was the chef for two weeks...

Any way there was this one photographer who was 78 drove down from england to south of france at that age he was a top bloke...

Any way, he's bneen programing since the early 70s for ibm and wasa really intelgent dude.

he was like me dyslexic could see coding in his head, as well as havign a view of the box from a place most people dont vist...

Any way he said to me as he was, leaving do the work..

i was like wtf...

Having since gone back to college, I now get what he was saying. work your nuts of at something youle go places be lazy and makes some what of an effort you wont... so my question for you Ah..
    Is

Do you are you or have you done the work and gotten to places you wanted to be weather it s money life style. or what ever?

or are you still getting there ?

cheers

Er... sorry, what? :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Apologies, I didn't realise. I knew he said it in the post, but I honestly thought it was about someone else. I've never read any of snow monkeys previous posts either.

Right now my life is where I want it. I may be in a crummy job, but I'm currently very happy with my Fiancé, and getting married in January :D And two very supportive parents are making the whole journey a lot easier. I may not have the job I wished for, but as I work every day, I know I go home to a heartwarming and smiling face, I can't feel as if I'm currently nowhere with my life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The former. I realise he has dyselxia but I honestly don't understand the post or thread title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I would love to know if Snow thought the comments were offensive / distasteful. Anyone that read the OP knows he is dyslexic. I for one genuinely don't know what it's all about. That's all. Big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I know Snow is dyslexic but +1 to not having a clue what the thread is about.

Anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

The grammar police be callin', yo

thats distasteful? :confused: distasteful is burning the curran while doing an impersonation of mohomid as balerina. while his followers are praying....
    I didn't understand the question either as it happens.

Ive re-wrote the question hopefully it makes a bit more sense.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I didn't understand the OP. Ok? Can we stop yelling grammar nazi every time someone gets confused? I'm well aware SM has dyslexia and I'm not interested in picking on him.
    Or maybe I should just keep my mouth shut and not want to join in the discussion just in case someone thinks I'm being mean :rolleyes:

perfectly understand not being able to understand it. Nothing to do with my dyslexia it was genuinely how a post will look when I type it out then i have to play around with the wording.... but I kinda got distracted bye the bus appearing for college :o
    clicked the post button with out thinking....

Advertisement