Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here ever changed subjects in arts in 1st year?

Options
  • 22-09-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

So I'm considering dropping German and thinking about doing Greek and Roman Civilisation.

I didn't even consider it when I first signed up but after having a couple of History lectures about the Roman Empire I found that I have quite an interest in it.

I don't think I want to do German any more after hearing about the course content. I don't think that my level of German will be good enough to read a book written for native German speakers.

Is changing subjects a complicated process, and how do I go about it?

ty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 princess123

pbowenroe wrote: »
    So I'm considering dropping German and thinking about doing Greek and Roman Civilisation.

I didn't even consider it when I first signed up but after having a couple of History lectures about the Roman Empire I found that I have quite an interest in it.

I don't think I want to do German any more after hearing about the course content. I don't think that my level of German will be good enough to read a book written for native German speakers.

Is changing subjects a complicated process, and how do I go about it?

ty

i changed in first year... it was a good few years ago at this stage so can't remember details. if your not happy with the german then i would advise to change. first check the timetable and see if it clashes with any other subjects if it doesnt then i would go to admissions (i think-sorry it has been a while) and ask them can you change. the only big reasons why they wouldnt let you change is if there are big number of students in the classes etc. it might be an idea to approach the new lecturer first too.. maybe ask new lecturer to give overview... ask he/she would it be possible to change.. im sure they'd be interested in increasing the number of students. if you push it theyll let you change... after all its your degree. good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

thanks for replying

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Hi there. I stuck with German in First Year and took Greek and Roman Civilisation with it amongst other subjects so there shouldn't be a clash for you unless the subject groups have been changed.

In the end I too judged my standard of German too poor to want to continue with it into year 2 but I wouldn't worry about having to read a German novel. If GE1102 is at all similar to when I took it then the text used is Die Verlorene Ehre Der Katharina Blum by Heinrich Boell. Certainly, it's a very dense book, even for native speakers, but the idea isn't to understand it word for word but to be able to talk around the book and the context of its publication (the student left in the 1970s, the RAF/Baader Meinhof Gang and Axel Springer's control of the media.) You answer on the novel in English in the summer exam so apart from selecting a smattering of choice quotes you need never read the whole thing never mind properly understand it. Unless you want to :p

As for changing subjects, it wouldn't be the admissions office you need - you'd have to go to the Arts Faculty office which is in the O'Rahilly Building. Ask at the front desk and they'll direct you accordingly. You can change subjects until around the third week in October, numbers permitting, without much fuss at all (it'd be impossible to move into English at this stage, for example, as it's so well subscribed.)

ty for your reply

Has anyone got any recommendations as to what course to move into?

Tbh, I am very unlikely to be continuing into second year with the course that I move into and would just like one that is fairly easy to pass, if there is such a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

Hi, I'm in First Year Arts as well. I have already changed two of my subjects; from Religion & Global Diversity to Spanish and from German to Chinese Studies. I'm not sure what courses to recommend to you, but some of the courses are full at this stage; I saw the list today posted at the Arts Faculty office. Check it out, as I'm not sure of the exact list. Here is the form you need to fill out: http://www.ucc.ie/en/CollegesandDepartments/ArtsCelticStudiesandSocialSciences/InformationforFirstYearStudents/ChangeofSubjectForms/CK101-Change-of-Subject-Form.pdf

Good luck. :)
    Brian

brian1991 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in First Year Arts as well. I have already changed two of my subjects; from Religion & Global Diversity to Spanish and from German to Chinese Studies. I'm not sure what courses to recommend to you, but some of the courses are full at this stage; I saw the list today posted at the Arts Faculty office. Check it out, as I'm not sure of the exact list. Here is the form you need to fill out: http://www.ucc.ie/en/CollegesandDepartments/ArtsCelticStudiesandSocialSciences/InformationforFirstYearStudents/ChangeofSubjectForms/CK101-Change-of-Subject-Form.pdf

Good luck. :)
    Brian

Thanks Brian. I moved into Greek and Roman Civ. and had my first lecture today. It seemed pretty interesting so I'm happy enough.

I see you had enough of German as well :D

Advertisement