Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To swithc or not to switch (O2 vs 3)

Options
  • 22-09-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking to get the HTC Desire. I am currently on O2 but considering swithing to 3.

O2
    Advantages:
    1) Desire in stock (I believe)
    2) Network I am currently with
    3) 40euro will give me free calls to O2 to whom 90% of my calls are and 150 minutes4) I have 140euro call cred on my O2 prepay. 130 of this can be credited to a bill pay account if I switch
    Disadvantages
    1) Not the cheapest
    2) No idea what O2s 3G network is like

Advantages
    1) 40euro give free 3to3 calls (I know no-one on 3) but also 350 flex units which should meet all my needs
    2) Not O2
    Disadvantages
    1) Desire not in stock
    2) No idea what 3 are like as a network

In general people say that o2 are ripoff mergents. Would I be made to stick with them? 90% of my calls are to o2 (my wife) so their plan for 40 euro would easily meet my call needs. 3ireland would also be 40 euro so no svaing their. Any other compelling reason I should changeto 3? Do O2 cripple the Desire with branding?

[Edit: Apologies for the spelling in the title!!]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

have you considered Meteor ? ive been with them for years, moved to three for a week and a half and had really bad experience so moved back to Meteor

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭albob

I suppose I should. I ruled them out when the Desire was not in stock but I suppose that is no different to 3. Plus the plan is cheaper and would probably still cover my calling needs.
    Whats Meteor's 3G coverage like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

I wouldn't rule out O2, i've been with them for the last few years, starting with iphones, now with a desire. Always found the network to be very good. They have an Edge network aswell, so if you move out of a 3G area, at least you have Edge. With 3, you've got nothing if there is no 3G coverage i think??

Customer support with O2 has been good for me aswell, both on the phone, and more recently on the talk2o2 forum. i was with 3 before O2, and their customer service is the worst i've ever dealt with, not sure if it's improved, but it's the one reason i've steered clear ever since...

Thats my experience of the two networks you mention...not sure about the branding side of things. Wasn't an issue with the iphone, and i got my desire sim free, unbranded at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

in the middle of town i get great coverage with Meteor, and even in my local village. my house is woeful for even 2g signal but i have to live with it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I went with the Samsung Galaxy S with 3, better phone then the desire (imo) friend has a desire so have used both the screen on the galaxy s is just amazing. Currently with 3 on a 40 euro a month plan, no problems so far, 40 covers pretty much all my calls, data and texts + get 150 extra texts on top of that. Phone costs 99 euro on this plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Gryzor wrote: »
    With 3, you've got nothing if there is no 3G coverage i think??
    Is this true? I'm also thinking of switching from O2 (contract has expired) and 3 would be an option. But I regularly drop to the EDGE network on O2. With 3, will those areas that would usually only have EDGE now have nothing at all? Or is their 3G network better / further reaching to compensate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Goodshape wrote: »
    Is this true? I'm also thinking of switching from O2 (contract has expired) and 3 would be an option. But I regularly drop to the EDGE network on O2. With 3, will those areas that would usually only have EDGE now have nothing at all? Or is their 3G network better / further reaching to compensate?

This is complete tripe, (no offence)
    With three, you have 3g, 2g, and hdspa

Changed from o2 to 3 myself recently (nearly 7years with o2) I'm on the road with work A LOT!
    In the last month or two since changing, I've not once had a network coverage issue (I be in the 32 counties month in, month out) network signal always fine, no problems with data speed EVER, my bills have went from 240 with o2, to 98 euro with three, can use phone to make or take calls up north with no roaming fees, and have 10, 000 flexi mins to call uk mobiles and landlines!

its a no brainser folks, trust me on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Disclaimer: I haven't been with 3.

I have, however, been with Meteor and O2. People regularly compare 3 with Meteor on here and elsewhere, and complain about how much worse 3 is in just about every respect. For me, Meteor was an absolute disaster (a neverending litany of problems and no one capable of dealing with any of them) and the best thing I ever did was move back to O2. So if 3 are so inferior to Meteor, and Meteor, in my experience, was a complete nightmare, I'd stay well away.

I have a Hero and I've found O2's network to be fine, other than in the occasional building built with a lot of concrete.

O2 is relatively expensive, but you get what you pay for IMO. If you're happy with the price plan, I wouldn't consider any other network.

Breezer wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I haven't been with 3.

I have, however, been with Meteor and O2. People regularly compare 3 with Meteor on here and elsewhere, and complain about how much worse 3 is in just about every respect. For me, Meteor was an absolute disaster (a neverending litany of problems and no one capable of dealing with any of them) and the best thing I ever did was move back to O2. So if 3 are so inferior to Meteor, and Meteor, in my experience, was a complete nightmare, I'd stay well away.

I have a Hero and I've found O2's network to be fine, other than in the occasional building built with a lot of concrete.

O2 is relatively expensive, but you get what you pay for IMO. If you're happy with the price plan, I wouldn't consider any other network.

I trawled these threads vigorously before switching phone providers, and tbh couldn't find much criticism on three (with the job I'm in good coverage is of the utmost importance)
    I even started my own thread asking for opinions, (and I think I got 2 negative opinions)

Into my second month now, no regrets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Thanks, Gucky. I think I'll make the switch.

I don't need a new phone (have an unlocked, unbranded, Desire) so will be getting the sim-only option initially. 35/m and no contract. So if it's ****, I'll just switch back :)

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »
    Thanks, Gucky. I think I'll make the switch.

I don't need a new phone (have an unlocked, unbranded, Desire) so will be getting the sim-only option initially. 35/m and no contract. So if it's ****, I'll just switch back :)

Your very welcome.

Just one thing I would advise on, a lot of folk DO give out about there customer care, I have had no pproblems with them so far (never much need to phone them to be honest) so, if you do decide to switch, prob best to head into a3 store instead of the call centre in India, plus you'll be ensuring a fellow Irish person gets the commission!

Thats my view, for what its worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Im with 3. Had to change from Meteor, useless coverage.
    Now im out in the sticks and Ive never dropped call with 3. Also the price plans are just better, can get 2gb internet and either free landline calls, extra texts or extra weekend and evening calls among others.
    HTC is good as well.

Advertisement