Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Lakes

Options
  • 22-09-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Found this lovely spot some time ago [use historic to see place names], its about 400m ASL, off the Conor Pass.

Such a nice spot deserves to be fished. Question is, would there be any fish there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Should be, there seems to be a stream connectign it to other lakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yes there will be fish in it. More than likely small brown trout. Lakes that high do not have much food coming into them for the trout to grow any size. And the season for the trout to put on weight is shorter than at sea level due to fluctuations in temperature. The trout will be enthusiastic to take a fly and fight hard and will be beautiful to look at.

There is the small possibility that there would be arctic charr in the lake too. Some mountain lakes in Kerry are known to hold them. Another member of the trout family that got landlocked during the last ice age. Will be small as well but take on spectacular colours at this time of the year for spawning.

If you do get a trout out of it before the season closes, be sure to post a pic here for us :)

SeaFields wrote: »
    Yes there will be fish in it. More than likely small brown trout. Lakes that high do not have much food coming into them for the trout to grow any size. And the season for the trout to put on weight is shorter than at sea level due to fluctuations in temperature. The trout will be enthusiastic to take a fly and fight hard and will be beautiful to look at.

There is the small possibility that there would be arctic charr in the lake too. Some mountain lakes in Kerry are known to hold them. Another member of the trout family that got landlocked during the last ice age. Will be small as well but take on spectacular colours at this time of the year for spawning.

If you do get a trout out of it before the season closes, be sure to post a pic here for us :)

Going prospecting for char is like looking for a needle in a bunch of needles, but you're right they would look amazing this time of year.

fontanalis wrote: »
    Going prospecting for char is like looking for a needle in a bunch of needles, but you're right they would look amazing this time of year.

Ive found a lake with them! Thanks to a local farmer on whose land the lake is. Have seen pics of them and going to try for them in the few weeks! Would love to just catch one for a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Should be, there seems to be a stream connectign it to other lakes.

Waterfalls, 20 ft or so, straight down.

• Advertisement

Ive found a lake with them! Thanks to a local farmer on whose land the lake is. Have seen pics of them and going to try for them in the few weeks! Would love to just catch one for a photo.

Seriously, well done. How did you manage to look in that particular lough? Hear say or looking at the landscape? There's a lake near me in Donegal that has them but they are rarely caught there, usually by accident. I remember trying it just for char late in the year as that's when they spawn in Lough Eske. Fished for a few hours for nothing, then as I was leaving the lake turned very calm and walking up a hill I looked back towards the lough and you could see a load of small rise rings well beyond casting range. Best of luck, be sure to let us know how you get on.

Seriously, well done. How did you manage to look in that particular lough? Hear say or looking at the landscape? There's a lake near me in Donegal that has them but they are rarely caught there, usually by accident. I remember trying it just for char late in the year as that's when they spawn in Lough Eske. Fished for a few hours for nothing, then as I was leaving the lake turned very calm and walking up a hill I looked back towards the lough and you could see a load of small rise rings well beyond casting range. Best of luck, be sure to let us know how you get on.

Thanks!

A friends of a friends father owns the land. He (the farmers son) got out the laptop one night when we were over in their place for a few drinks and showed me pics of fish he caught in the lake using worms - describing them as slimey, strange coloured trout. There are a few lakes there but the charr are only in one supposedly. I believe the best time to catch them is in october? On weighted flies in the margins? Going to try anyway to fish a new water if anything. Would love just one tho.

Thanks!

A friends of a friends father owns the land. He (the farmers son) got out the laptop one night when we were over in their place for a few drinks and showed me pics of fish he caught in the lake using worms - describing them as slimey, strange coloured trout. There are a few lakes there but the charr are only in one supposedly. I believe the best time to catch them is in october? On weighted flies in the margins? Going to try anyway to fish a new water if anything. Would love just one tho.

May I ask the county?
    I'd say they spawn in October, they love maggots in Lough Eske (but tend to take regular trout flies when caught by accident) and I've seen fish rise there in calm water close to the shore line which could be char. Weighted flies would be a good call, go for something buggy and maybe something bright as I think they feed on daphnia. Half the battle is making sure they're there.

May I ask the county?

Oh yeah...tis in Kerry. Thats how i linked it to the OP's question. Ill take your advice into account and try that. Have been putting it off for the summer after hearing October would be the best time.Am well looking forward to it :)

Oh and sorry OP, we've high jacked your thread. As you can see for myself and fonaalis' enthusiasm mountain lakes provide some of the most exciting fishing so enjoy it!

ch750536 wrote: »
    Waterfalls, 20 ft or so, straight down.

Out of interest have you tried any of the lakes nearby?
    It's worth giving it a couple hours, make a day of it and if nothings working try some of the mountain streams. They can give great sport.
    http://www.smallstreams.com/phpBB3/index.php

• Advertisement
Advertisement