Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to build up solid study notes?

Options
  • 22-09-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi I notice alot of people selling their leaving cert notes on ebay and stuff and I don't really want to spend all the money on them, I'd like to know how to build solid study notes for each subject, would I use flashcards?Write out essays and learn them off?

Say for instance Biology..how would you go abut compiling study notes for that?

Would really appreciate it if someone with past experience could help me out here cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Firstly don't bother buying notes off others.
    The best notes are those you write yourself because you take in the the information and will have your own system

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Danny_H

You should definitely make out the notes yourself. Go through the book and write down definitions, key terms and sections that often appear on the exam.
    I went through the entire business book in 3 evenings.

For biology, our teacher did out a summary (much like what I did myself for business) when we had completed each chapter. Taking down these summaries formed a pretty extensive and complete notes copy.
    You can of course, do it yourself too. Just look at (and examine) some past exam papers, run through the book looking for important bits. (Although with biology the course is new and bits haven't been examined yet, so don't exclude anything) Take them down in your own words in a way you understand. This applies to all but the language subjects. Even in maths you can get a past exam paper, find the relevant section of the book and take down a few examples. Also some teachers (who you should know by now in your school) give out concrete and pretty complete notes. :)

Most of the difficult sections in biology are memorising processes and the stages in them. DNA replication, protein synthesis and enzyme immobilisation come to mind. Take down the scientific name for the stage with a brief explanation and number the steps to get a clear idea of it in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I think study cards are a great method for something like Biology (but it'd work for most subjects), once you've learned a chapter try and fit all the main points on this card and keep them for future reference. Way easier than looking at reams of notes tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Anro

http://sas.calpoly.edu/asc/ssl/notetaking.systems.html
    found this note taking systems thing lol not sure if it will help or not :)

Advertisement