Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bookie that fled the scene (Today FM)

Options
  • 22-09-2010 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Matt Cooper is covering a story about a bookie who decided to cut and run you can listen via the www.todayfm.com front page, he didn't say when it would be talked about, show runs till 7 pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Listening now. Haven't missed it have I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not sure! The sport stuff usually happens after the 6.30 headlines, if I hear it flagged I'll bump this thread.

Although Mr Dalton did not have a "good pitch" in the bookmakers' ring, large queues were said to have been forming at his stand.

At one point in his final betting race on Saturday, Mr Dalton went 13/8, when 11/8 was generally the best price in the ring on eventual winner Laughing Boy.

No wonder he ran out of money, sounds like he was chancing his arm to increase turnover and ran out of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Read about this on irishracing.com the other day(same article as the indo),how stupid could he be going 2 points above the others when he had little money?

• Advertisement

Hmmm, missed it. The audio downloads will be availible later.

http://audiostore.todayfm.com/player/wednesday.html (I'd say its between 6 and 6.30)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

greetings wrote: »
    Read about this on irishracing.com the other day(same article as the indo),how stupid could he be going 2 points above the others when he had little money?

Didn't he only go 1/4 of a point above the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

That's why they call it gambling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

The Walsho wrote: »
    Didn't he only go 1/4 of a point above the others?
    Sorry I used the wrong word,I didn't mean two whole points e.g 2/1 to 4/1 it was 13/8 instead of 11/8
    Nulty wrote: »
    That's why they call it gambling
    I'd call that stupidity,especially when he was going top price in the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I'd call that stupidity,especially when he was going top price in the ring.

I'd just call it operating outside of the terms of his license. He should not be taking bets when he does not have the means to cover the potential losses. In effect, he was conning people. He should have his license removed and banned from the industry for life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Going top price about a horse is done all the time (watch Davy Hyland's board next time you go racing, he's the king of getting stuck into a jolly)

However Davy usually pays out when one goes in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

He should not be taking bets when he does not have the means to cover the potential losses. In effect, he was conning people. He should have his license removed and banned from the industry for life.

Do you really think this is always the case though? I wouldn't be so sure, but I'd imagine no bookie would allow it to happen on a favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Poor fucker, seems to be a bigger gambler than some of his punters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Difficult scenario when people are struggling that badly for money but he has no real ecuse

"I went to Listowel with no money and didn’t set out to rob anyone"

He went there knowing full well that he couldn't pay out but still took bets. His intention was quite clearly to rob people as they were placing bets in good faith but could not possibly collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Juwwi

If theres any justice he should be given a small amount of time topay up or he should go to jail..

Went there knowing well he could'nt pay out.

The fact that he was going higher than other bookies only proves he was trying to get in as much money as he could the greedy fooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Crowie13

That is crazy, how can a bookie be allowed to take bets when he hasn't got the money to pay out. We couldn't place a bet if we didn't have the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Crowie13 wrote: »

That is crazy, how can a bookie be allowed to take bets when he hasn't got the money to pay out. We couldn't place a bet if we didn't have the money.
    credit card :)
    anyway that fella had some balls, i think the stories hilarious to be honest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I guess he had every intention of paying out but it got too much for him as the Favs went against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭jacool

I guess he had every intention of paying out but it got too much for him as the Favs went against him.
    He had no money. My "guess" is he couldn't pay out. Intentions ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement