Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graph software (3d)

Options
  • 22-09-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

i was wondering if any one knew where you could get your hands on free graphing software.im looking for one that you enter a function ,2d and 3d. im an engineering student and would find this extremely useful for visualising whats happening to a function.
    plotting points/limits option would be useful but not necessary
    any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Going to bounce this to the Engineering forum as I think you'll get a better response there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

If your a student check if they have matlab installed on the college computers. Failing that if you run linux try Octave.

As a stop gap until you find something decent try using wolfram alpha and simply plugging in the function. It wont be as fancy as matlab or octaves plots but it will give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Octave is available for Windows and Mac too - see Octave-Forge for downloads.

If you just want a graphing package, there's also Gnuplot, though I've only used it on Linux, never Windows, so I don't know how easy it is to get going. Or, if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, try the free app Quick Graph, which is pretty amazing IMHO.

mzl.byfryttq.320x480-75.jpg

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement