Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help

Options
  • 22-09-2010 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Im in Leaving Cert and i get tonnes of homework(literally). I get home about 5 and i have about 3.5-4 hours homework a night. When do i find time for study beacuse by the time im done this its 8:30/9??? I want to do Medicine but the way things are going right now i dont think i'll get it. Im doing 6 honours subjects and 1 pass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 smiler1990

Hi :)
    The first few months of 6th year (I'm assuming?) are really tough but teachers will ease up on you through the year.
    The homework you're doing should be like study and practice for the real thing so don't see it as wasted time or missed study because it'll all help in the long run!
    Good luck anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Danny_H

Teachers seem to pile on the homework at the beginning of 6th year for whatever reason. Perhaps it's to shock students into the seriousness of the LC or just wanting to get work covered as quickly as possible.

You'll find after a while teachers start giving revision type exams covering a couple of chapters. Your homework will be to revise/do questions relating to these. Don't get stressed if you cant manage to fit in extra study outside of this as it is revision in itself.

The workload should reduce as teachers near the end of the course anyway which will allow you more time for revision. By the time the mocks are in sight your homework will be to revise x number of chapters.

Don't stress about not getting revision done if you are working hard on what you are doing in class at the present time. If you spend that much energy all year you'll have less ground to cover at the end anyway. There are also weekends, if you can get your homework done by 8.30 on the Friday then you have the weekend to enjoy/utilise as you please. ;) If you have any classes in which you are not examined, like R.E (if your school doesn't do it as an exam subject), P.E or assigned study time: Do study or homework in them. As the year goes on the teachers will get even more lenient about doing work in those classes.
    You sound like you've already done more work than I did for my whole Leaving Cert :p
    Keep at it and don't get disheartened!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

Danny_H wrote: »
    Teachers seem to pile on the homework at the beginning of 6th year for whatever reason. Perhaps it's to shock students into the seriousness of the LC or just wanting to get work covered as quickly as possible.

You'll find after a while teachers start giving revision type exams covering a couple of chapters. Your homework will be to revise/do questions relating to these. Don't get stressed if you cant manage to fit in extra study outside of this as it is revision in itself.

The workload should reduce as teachers near the end of the course anyway which will allow you more time for revision. By the time the mocks are in sight your homework will be to revise x number of chapters.

Don't stress about not getting revision done if you are working hard on what you are doing in class at the present time. If you spend that much energy all year you'll have less ground to cover at the end anyway. There are also weekends, if you can get your homework done by 8.30 on the Friday then you have the weekend to enjoy/utilise as you please. ;) If you have any classes in which you are not examined, like R.E (if your school doesn't do it as an exam subject), P.E or assigned study time: Do study or homework in them. As the year goes on the teachers will get even more lenient about doing work in those classes.
    You sound like you've already done more work than I did for my whole Leaving Cert :p
    Keep at it and don't get disheartened!

They do. And i do EVERY SINGLE BIT OF IT. Fully explained and other couldn't give a toss!

We're already doing papers but i have most covered already

Thanks i will. Im just stressed and already exhausted, not even a months back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Could you ask your guidance councilor what the story is as regards to homework? She could say to the teachers that they are giving to much homework, they might not realize every single teacher is giving so much homework.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lexii307 wrote: »
    They do. And i do EVERY SINGLE BIT OF IT. Fully explained and other couldn't give a toss!

We're already doing papers but i have most covered already

Thanks i will. Im just stressed and already exhausted, not even a months back

The fact that you are doing your work to a high standard will stand to you when you will really be revising closer to June and not learning again which those who do slapdash homework will be.

Everyone is always tired in September after the break - this will get easier.

If medicine is what you've set your heart on, in fairness, you'll have to get used to huge amounts of studying for the next number of years. Only you can decide if it's worth that much to you as a career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Danny_H

spurious wrote: »
    If medicine is what you've set your heart on, in fairness, you'll have to get used to huge amounts of studying for the next number of years. Only you can decide if it's worth that much to you as a career.

^This^
    Get used to it buddy :P

Also if everyone around you is doing absolutely nothing, ignore it.
    Any work you put in now, regardless of whether its written homework, reading homework or revision, will stand to you when you come to final preparations later on in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

This happened me in 5th year! if the homework isn't useful then just DON'T DO IT! yes half my teachers hated me but I didn't care because the way I spent my time was actually useful. Like in chemistry we had a test every week. I was never ready for them as they were on a Friday and it always took me until the weekend to get my head around a new topic. Result was that I rarely got better than a C in any of my tests. But, as I used the tests to help me study afterwards and let myself to good study instead of rushed study I got a B in the mocks and an A in the real thing. Now I'm in premed and it doesn't matter that I never pleased the teachers, do not do hw just for the sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Also pray to the almighty Buddha you can pull one hell of a HPAT out of your arse and outscore the cream of the crop in terms of studying and grinding results out.

Advertisement