Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oktoberfest Dublin docklands 2010

Options
  • 22-09-2010 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about it? According to the website its run by Erdinger and not Paulaner. Does this mean there'll just be weissbier at it?
    I'm not a fan of weissbier, if that's all they have I won't be a happy man.
    I tried contacting them but no reply.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Not really.

I couldn't see the answer to his question in your link.

Anyone actually have an idea of the beer selection??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

This is total speculation, but since Fischer Stiftungsbräu is part of Erdinger and also imported by Noreast (who are running the show), there may be some of that. I don't think they make an Oktoberfestbier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Not much of a beer festival if there's only 2 or 3 beer choices. (by the looks of it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Its not a beer festival though.

Its a festival which has beer, food and other Bavarian things (like women in revealing tops)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Not much of a beer festival if there's only 2 or 3 beer choices. (by the looks of it)

Oktoberfest is more of a drinking festival than a beer festival. There's not many beers at the real one either.
    I mailed them buy their email address doesn't work

EDIT: what enda said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

was anyone at this last year? how much was the beer and is it worth going too?
    might go on a sunday, few pints and a bit of food.

kindalen wrote: »
    was anyone at this last year? how much was the beer and is it worth going too?
    might go on a sunday, few pints and a bit of food.

It was a tenner for a litre mass of beer. fiver deposit that you get back when you hand in the class. I was there the last 2 years and it was great crack. We booked a table last year, probably worth doing that because the queue was massive. It's a good laugh with a few friends, but not worth queing for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ahlad

They'll probably have a clear Erdinger and a cloudy one, i think they had some high end cider-type yoke at it last year too. I'd def recommend it though, great atmosphere down there its got a fairly authentic feel about it, lots of German staff and its a good bit of craic. Beware though, that beer sure can kick a man in the hoop!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Paparazzo wrote: »
    It was a tenner for a litre mass of beer. fiver deposit that you get back when you hand in the class.

That's excellent value ... fair play ...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

That's excellent value ... fair play ...

Is it?

My reading is that you hand over €15 (10 for the beer, 5 for the glass) and then it is 10 for each refill or a return of your deposit when finished.

This is Dublin. This is the docklands. There's no way you get a litre of erdinger for €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Is it?

My reading is that you hand over €15 (10 for the beer, 5 for the glass) and then it is 10 for each refill or a return of your deposit when finished.

This is Dublin. This is the docklands. There's no way you get a litre of erdinger for €5.

This is correct, I was sure I wasn't just imagining it!

It's €7.50 for a pint bierstein and €15 for a litre, both with a refundable value of €2.50 and €5.00 respectively on return of the glass if memory serves me correctly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Jev/N wrote: »
    This is correct, I was sure I wasn't just imagining it!

It's €7.50 for a pint bierstein and €15 for a litre, both with a refundable value of €2.50 and €5.00 respectively on return of the glass if memory serves me correctly.

Holy moley. At least 10 for 1l is borderline pricey for Dublin (at say 4.85 for a pint, 1l of beer is usually c.8.50 in the city centre).

But 7.50 for a pint? Just not worth it.

This and the recent beer festival really annoy me because of their prices. Surely, like Arthur's day, they should be a time to promote their products and as such if they sold them at a subsidised rate they would get their profits back long term.

But no, it's just another fleece the Irish jobbie.

Holy moley. At least 10 for 1l is borderline pricey for Dublin (at say 4.85 for a pint, 1l of beer is usually c.8.50 in the city centre).

But 7.50 for a pint? Just not worth it.

This and the recent beer festival really annoy me because of their prices. Surely, like Arthur's day, they should be a time to promote their products and as such if they sold them at a subsidised rate they would get their profits back long term.

But no, it's just another fleece the Irish jobbie.

Well €5 pint (especially for decent beers) isn't the worst but far from the best either. It is a festival though so prices are jacked up.

I'm nearly sure they were the prices, you could avoid the glass for the pints if you wanted and just opt for plastic AFAIK.

Is it?

Yeah, that's the price.
    The glasses have a mark at 1l and its always way above. Considering an Irish "pint" includes a head, there's easily 2 pints in a glass. So 5 euro a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well €5 pint (especially for decent beers) isn't the worst but far from the best either. It is a festival though so prices are jacked up.

I'm nearly sure they were the prices, you could avoid the glass for the pints if you wanted and just opt for plastic AFAIK.

Im sorry but it is this attitude that allows them pull this sh*te off. I was there last year, and to be honest it felt a jip paying that much for a beer. If no one turned up they would re-assess the prices they charge. it was laughable and yes they are 'the worst prices'. Treating us like morons. I hope it back fires this year.

listermint wrote: »
    Im sorry but it is this attitude that allows them pull this sh*te off. I was there last year, and to be honest it felt a jip paying that much for a beer.

You obviously don't drink in Dublin, do you?

edit: the City Centre I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

From previous occasions it was always fiver a pint(.5l) or 5.50..can't remember which but then again some of the price of your pint is paying towards the entertainment.(band playing)

But if Erdinger are sponsors this time, you bet i'll be there :)

If you're going, get there early. From the site:

We are already fully booked on the following days: October 1st, October 2d, October 7th,October 8th

But: The fact that we can’t take your reservation for that evening doesn’t mean you won’t get any table. Just make sure to be on the site early enough (around 5 p.m. the latest) as there’ll be a good chance to get free tables in the marquee.

Last year we took more reservations but we don’t want to annoy all the other guests who queued for getting access to the site as this is a public event.
    We appreciate your understanding!

• Advertisement

Beware that the queues are massive on the weekends after 7.30 or 8pm and if you're not in the gate before 9, it's €10 in.

However, you can just buy something with the voucher you receive and you get the rest back in change so it's not all that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

How long would you expect to queue if you went around 5 bells?

I can't be certain but I don't think there'd be much of a queue...haven't a clue what time people arrive down after work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I can't be certain but I don't think there'd be much of a queue...haven't a clue what time people arrive down after work

Silly me, i meant to say 5 o'clock on Saturday, i would expect a big enough queue around then i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Paparazzo wrote: »
    If you're going, get there early. From the site:

We are already fully booked on the following days: October 1st, October 2d, October 7th,October 8th

Its strange how its booked out on a Thursday. Just hope the rain will back off for those of us not privileged enough to be inside the tent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I was at the Erdinger beer-fest in Erding this year,its called the Erdinger Herbstfest. Erdinger don't have a tent at the Oktoberfest because they are not a Munich brewery so they have their own fest. The price of a Maß of beer was €6.50, that's real good value when you consider the average price at the Oktoberfest is now about €8.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Silly me, i meant to say 5 o'clock on Saturday, i would expect a big enough queue around then i suppose.

No queue at that time last year, on the saturday i went.
    Seriously good times, but pace yourself.... and eat, dont forget to eat....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You obviously don't drink in Dublin, do you?

edit: the City Centre I mean

I do, but i steer my self clear of the 5 plus bars. And others should too. I am in the city centre all the time in fact.

4.40 is reasonable any more and its not. Simple. Its a total racket.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

listermint wrote: »
    I do, but i steer my self clear of the 5 plus bars. And others should too. I am in the city centre all the time in fact.

4.40 is reasonable any more and its not. Simple. Its a total racket.

I kind of see where you're coming from but €4.40 for what? €4.40 for a **** pint of macro crap at 4% alc or what?

Like would you take a stand on price alone? I don't care what I'm given once it doesn't go above €4.40?

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth by the way I'm just asking because, if it is just industial lager or stout at some **** bar for €4.40 at 4.5% alc vs. something along the lines of Erdinger at an event, with live music, in a different setting for €5 at 5.3% alc it's hard to see any justification for that.

• Advertisement

Ok, how many people are at this event? 1500? I'm no expert in beer festivals, but if I reckon if I was organising an event that attracted so many people drinking bucket loads of beer I'd have more than 3 urinals.
    I wouldn't bother showing up unless you're prepared to drink outside, every table inside was reserved on friday. Lucky we arrived early and it was sunny

Advertisement