Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint about a moderator.

Options
  • 22-09-2010 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to make a complaint about the inconsistency of moderation by PopeBuckfastXVI.

Posts in the Galway City thread yesterday on "Could you have a child in Galway as result of a one night stand" that criticized the OPs decision to try to make contact with the father of her 15 year old son were deleted while those praising her decision were left and the thread was locked. Surely if these messages were deleted for not being relevant than those messages of praise should also be deleted for not being relevant? No reason was given for the deleted posts. I asked the mod in PM about the reasons for the deletion and got no answer. If irrelevant negative posts are being deleted than irrelevant positve posts should also be deleted? Whether people what the OP is doing is a good or bad idea is not answering the OPs question. But only the positive posts are left today.

Just looking for some consistency from this moderator.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

Two days and no response? Not good enough.

I wonder how many moderators have more infractions than the people they are moderating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Two days and no response? Not good enough.

If you read the procedure thats at the top of the page, you'd see that you should have given the mod 2 days to respond to your PM before coming here. I'm sorry you feel that such a timeframe isn't "good enough", but thats the window that's been agreed on.

I take it that you're now saying that you've waited your two days and haven't had a response. At this point, its reasonable to expect a CMod fo the region forum to come and have a look.
    I wonder how many moderators have more infractions than the people they are moderating.

Again, let me draw reference to the procedure at the top of the page, and point out the following:

Posting abusive comments about a moderator you have issue with will result in further action being taken ... Your appeal will be closed and no further appeals on the matter will be entertained. We will not allow people to abuse moderators (or indeed any other members) in this forum.

Please consider this in the spirit it was written. This isn't a platform for you to have a pop at moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

If I may,

The user is referring to two days without a CMod response. I replied to his PM immediately, and we had a PM conversation which did not satisfy him so I recommended opening a dispute here, which he did in due course.

I will happily post the entire PM thread with the dates and times of the PMs if requested.

Regards,
    PBXVI

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Lucy Lu

Apologies about the delay. There was some confusion between us C-mods. I know you did PM Dub13 and I will look at al the details and get back to you when I can.

I have read through the thread and I fully agree with the posts being deleted. In my opinion they were unnecessary and some what bitchy towards the OP and this is the reason why they were deleted.

The OP was speaking about a sensitive issue and did not need unnecessary comments being made.

PopeBuckfastXVI was right to delete them and I see no issue with the moderating.

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote: »

Posting abusive comments about a moderator you have issue with will result in further action being taken ... Your appeal will be closed and no further appeals on the matter will be entertained. We will not allow people to abuse moderators (or indeed any other members) in this forum.

Please consider this in the spirit it was written. This isn't a platform for you to have a pop at moderators.

This is hardly a pop? Just find the system odd that allows people to hand out infractions who have infractions themselves.
    Lucy Lu wrote: »
    I have read through the thread and I fully agree with the posts being deleted. In my opinion they were unnecessary and some what bitchy towards the OP and this is the reason why they were deleted.

The OP was speaking about a sensitive issue and did not need unnecessary comments being made.

PopeBuckfastXVI was right to delete them and I see no issue with the moderating.

That's fine. I didn't realise you were allowed to delete posts because they were bitchy. It's the lack of consistency that gets me. May have been a sensitive topic but what is the point in asking for opinions if posters are going to have to tippy-toe around the subject? Does bluntness lead to post deletion? Posts shouldn't have to be sugar coated to be allowed to stay on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

thelongfellow,

It may be worth re-reading the OP in the thread as you seem to have missed it's point. It wasn't seeking opinions, good or bad, in fact the very first line was:
    Firstly, please do not judge me on what I am about to write as it has taken me 15 long years to do so.

The purpose of the post was to find a person
    So if you are the person or were part of that group please PM. Discretion and confidentiality assured.

The posts I deleted were a combination of 'funneh' (posts that the poster considers witty, but are inappropriate in context), and berating of the OP for actions over the last 15 years.

The posts I left either gave valid advice on what to do next, or encouragement on the current course of action she is taking, as related in the OP. Both are valid responses in the context of the OP, yours and the others were not.

Your posts berated the OP, a first time poster on boards, for actions which she cannot change. You didn't address the request as outlined in the post (request for information), or even the substance of the post, her current course of action. A valid 'negative' response, if one was really needed, may have been to discourage her from her current course of action, giving reasons why it may be inappropriate. That's not what you submitted though.

Your posts, and the others, added absolutely nothing to the discourse, provided no helpful or useful information and had the potential to lower the tone of the forum in the eye's of a brand new member.

I closed the thread as I considered it inappropriate to the GC forum, for reasons I explained when closing the thread, i.e. the unlikelihood of a Dublin person lurking our forum.

If you feel you have been unfairly infracted by me, please PM me to discuss, or raise another dispute giving the specifics of the infraction which you feel is unfair.

Regards,
    PBXVI

The posts I left either gave valid advice on what to do next, or encouragement on the current course of action she is taking, as related in the OP. Both are valid responses in the context of the OP, yours and the others were not.

If you feel you have been unfairly infracted by me, please PM me to discuss, or raise another dispute giving the specifics of the infraction which you feel is unfair.

Regards,
    PBXVI

Sorry but encouragement for the OPs course of action is not relevant to the thread as she did not ask for encouragement or opinion as you pointed out. You left these posts and deleted all others-I don't have the option of seeing all deleted posts but as you pointed out some were just 'funneh'. That's just plain double standards.

When I talk about infractions I mean about the red card system that ye use. To my mind I have none of these 'red cards'. Unless you mean infraction as in post deletion-I'm not sure.

That's fine. I didn't realise you were allowed to delete posts because they were bitchy. It's the lack of consistency that gets me. May have been a sensitive topic but what is the point in asking for opinions if posters are going to have to tippy-toe around the subject? Does bluntness lead to post deletion? Posts shouldn't have to be sugar coated to be allowed to stay on the thread.

Again I will say the posts were correctly deleted as they were unnecessary and slightly bitchy, in my opinion. If a post is negative but also constructive to the OP it would not have to be deleted. The deleted post had nothing constructive to say.

Lucy Lu wrote: »
    Again I will say the posts were correctly deleted as they were unnecessary and slightly bitchy, in my opinion. If a post is negative but also constructive to the OP it would not have to be deleted. The deleted post had nothing constructive to say.

If your in the process of deleting unconstructive posts then those patting the OP on the back should also be deleted.

I'm assuming all unnecessary and slightly bitchy posts will be deleted from boards.ie in the future.

You can probably flag this as unresolved now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement