Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 USGP Fail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Any chance of a hint of what's in it without having to watch 15 minutes of video?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

wow just wow

amacachi wrote: »
    Any chance of a hint of what's in it without having to watch 15 minutes of video?

the most unprepared inept lawyer known to man

Edit: its worth a watch just to laugh at his epic stupidity

What's the problem? He said it's going to work. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Can just imagine them planning this out on the back of an envelope with Bernie a few months ago :D

It is funny when he mentions ground breaking looking to begin in December and the judges laugh :pac:

I still wouldn't be too worried though, if they get their plans together they should be able to show what a good thing it would be for the area

but kind of difficult to see it being on the same scale as other events which get much more government support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I think this also goes to highlight in a big way the reason why Bernie keeps moving more and more races to places like the Middle and Far East; not having to deal with lots of government red tape and bureaucracy. Bernie & Co. can go to places in the Middle/Far East and say "We'd like to run a Formula 1 race here." The local government will think to themselves, "Ooooh, F1! Worldwide televised sport, great way to promote our country to a worldwide audience. Yes please, we'll have some of that! Certainly Mr. Ecclestone, tell us how much money you would like us to throw into this project and how we can help to fast-track it for you?"

Result? 18 months, 2 years later you've got yet another Tilkedrome built in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of a country that doesn't even have much of an interest or history in motorsport, with half empty grandstands! But, of course, that doesn't bother Bernie as long as he gets to pocket a nice big juicy cheque and recurring annual race fee.

Bernie and the local promotors/developers of this whole Austin G.P. malarky probably felt it would be similarly as easy. They probably thought the local government and state agencies they'd be dealing with in Austin wouldn't need a proper, fully-laid out plan and structure and timetable and would simply be happy with the usual vague promises and guarantees and general bull****ting that goes on with these sorts of F1 projects and that, as long as they got a quick "yes" from them, they could then fast-track this project through and deal with any problems that spring up as they go along by simply chucking enough money at it.

However, it's obvious the Austin officials aren't going to simply fall for all the hype and bull**** and they want every step of the plan laid out in detail. And, as we well know, Bernie hates having to deal with negotiations and red-tape and bureaucracy, he just wants things done as quickly and as easily as possible and, if he can't have it that way, he'll start looking elsewhere. So, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if he walks away from this whole thing if it looks to him like it's going to drag on too long or not get done on schedule and he'll then start looking for a different location for the G.P. or in a place where he doesn't have to deal with the same level of bureaucracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

15mins of gross incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

around 12:40 I found the most interesting

around 12:40 I found the most interesting

Aye, watched it, brilliant.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Is this an episode of Family Guy or an actual piss take or something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

I'm convinced anyway!

Was wondering if anyone's heard anything lately about this GP? Also thought this thread was worth a bump. :pac:

i saw a picture of the site the other day seems to be progressing fine will try find it later

Colour me surprised!

this is from February plenty of earth moving equipment there anyway http://www.formula1austinblog.com/?p=52

and a more recent one http://jalopnik.com/5798465/aerial-photo-of-usf1-grand-prix-track-construction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Was wondering if anyone's heard anything lately about this GP? Also thought this thread was worth a bump. :pac:

I was talking to 4 middle aged people from Austin recently. Once I found out they were from Austin I asked them about the GP.

They were very excited and said there was a real anticipation about the place. They themselves were talking to construction workers at the track and so far all is well apparently.

Their main concern was that Austin doesn't have the proper infrastructure in so much that the airport is too small and the roads around the circuit wouldn't be the best. It's a concern but not a massive one for us armchair fans but would be for people wanting to attend.

I would love if Austin became like Montreal and one of the pilgrimages for the f1 fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Cowboys. Actual proper Texas ones at that. :D

Sounds like they have the Waynes World approach. If you build it (book them) they will come. Just lob a bit of tarmac down there, don't mind worrying about getting people to and from the circuit.

Even if it does get built and we get a GP there, how long will it last ?
    American audiences don't take to F1 in large enough numbers. They still have a bad taste in their mouths over the 2005 US Grand Prix. I'm guessing Bernie is banking on signing at least a 10 year deal with Austin, and then not giving a **** how low atendences are.

Just bring back the French or Portugese Grand Prix. Never mind Herrman Tilke and his acres of run off.

the circuit has signed a contract with motogp for ten years starting in 2013 can see another few series going there aswell alms, wsbk maybe even nascar

we shall see not improving the infrastructure to support the track does seem insane though

Advertisement