Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cé eile a bheith ag úsaid d'ainm gaeilge ina shaol?

Options
  • 22-09-2010 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Do na daoine nach dtuigeann, Who all are using their Irish name (Fore agus Second) from day to day for any official purposes and have ye any stories about them being used.
    I.e. Changing it, if you didn't go to school using your Irish one. Mis interperations, happened much? Any funny stories behind them? thar lear? Any difficulties abroad.. Do share, le do thoil :DD

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I changed mine from Irish to English when I was 18. Really regret it now and might change back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

I've used my Irish-language name and address solely (bank details, passport, driver's licence etc.) for just over a decade now and have had no real problems to be honest. There was one time when AIB put my address back into English without asking, but they put it back again without a quibble when I requested it and apologised for doing it.

Other than the fact that I usually have to spell my name out to the person writing it down almost everytime, I've no complaints. But I even know people with unusual names in English who have to do the same. Such is the Gaeilgeoir's burden. :)

I think the reason it worked ok was because I did it thoroughly and all at once. If you make the decision to do it, don't half do it, or it could cause problems if half you stuff is in English and half in Irish, especially if you go abroad. Most people abroad don't get the concept of having two names and that can cause you problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

dory wrote: »
    I changed mine from Irish to English when I was 18. Really regret it now and might change back.
    That's quite interesting because we I've only have heard of people doing the oppisite (English - Irish)
    May I ask why, at 18, you decided to revert to English? And again, your present feelings of wanting to go ar ais go gaeilge.

That's quite interesting because we I've only have heard of people doing the oppisite (English - Irish)
    May I ask why, at 18, you decided to revert to English? And again, your present feelings of wanting to go ar ais go gaeilge.

It was always English on birth cert etc. But I went to a Gaelscoil so ended up doing the CAO through Irish and had a few documents etc. in Irish. Then I dropped out of college and used English mostly, so without thinking did the CAO the following year in English, ironically, to go study Irish.

I have a first name that is fine in English, but everyone agrees is not very nice in Irish.

dory wrote: »
    It was always English on birth cert etc. But I went to a Gaelscoil so ended up doing the CAO through Irish and had a few documents etc. in Irish. Then I dropped out of college and used English mostly, so without thinking did the CAO the following year in English, ironically, to go study Irish.

I have a first name that is fine in English, but everyone agrees is not very nice in Irish.

If you decided to change back you could always just leave your first name in English and change the surname back to Irish if you prefer your first name in English. Nothing wrong with that. A number of prominent Irish speakers have such a name, like Hector Ó hEochagáin or the writer/actor Joe Steve Ó Neachtain.

• Advertisement

Gael wrote: »
    If you decided to change back you could always just leave your first name in English and change the surname back to Irish if you prefer your first name in English. Nothing wrong with that. A number of prominent Irish speakers have such a name, like Hector Ó hEochagáin or the writer/actor Joe Steve Ó Neachtain.

I tried that too and there's just no flow to it. There actually is a flow to my whole Irish name. I may consider it though.

I can't get onto that email list you recommended by the way. I emailed them and it came back undelivered.

Anybody got experiences of changing it whilst at school? Would it cause confusion having an English names JC and an Irish names LC? Surely they can offer statement of result reprints with a different name, with all appropriate documentations and proving of useage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Anybody got experiences of changing it whilst at school? Would it cause confusion having an English names JC and an Irish names LC? Surely they can offer statement of result reprints with a different name, with all appropriate documentations and proving of useage

I changed it between LC and going to Uni, Was eazy, I just filled in the forms with my Irish name, When i went up they had my name in English on the system so I said it at the registration desk and it was changed to Irish, no fuss (except I had to type the fadas for her.)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

They get the first name. Then either pronounce my last name incorrectly or get half way through and give up.

While getting my appendix removed the doctors all referred to me by my first name, instead of Miss Kelly/Quirke etc like they did everyone else.

Because they couldn't say it.

The "gh" just seems to throw people

I often wonder why more people don't do it.. Not because its some headbanger sense of annestory or nationalism, but a general authentic way to stand out from the crowd. Many Irish today seem to have poor interest in making an effort to pronounce a surname which is as gaeilge. I understand pronounciation can throw people, but immediately requiring your english name over your official Irish name is pig ignorant IMO

• Advertisement

it can be fairly awkward to get stuff changed from English version to the Irish version and of course people who know you will just keep using the English version out of habbit.

I suppose early installation of an Irish name is recemmended to reduce hassle in documentation etc

Ya well the best thing would be just name your child in Irish, if you are given an English name at birth then its unlikely to be changed till your 18.

That was true in my case anyway, Still have to get some stuff changed:rolleyes:

I often wonder why more people don't do it.. Not because its some headbanger sense of annestory or nationalism, but a general authentic way to stand out from the crowd. Many Irish today seem to have poor interest in making an effort to pronounce a surname which is as gaeilge. I understand pronounciation can throw people, but immediately requiring your english name over your official Irish name is pig ignorant IMO

I think it is becoming more popular, though quite slowly. I've had a few friends and acquaintances ask me for advice on how to do it, since they intend to do it themselves. I've also noticed that it's very popular now on Facebook to use your Irish name, even amongst people who don't use it in their everyday lives or wouldn't be fluent in Irish.

I suppose early installation of an Irish name is recemmended to reduce hassle in documentation etc

That would be my advice alright, especially if you ever go abroad. My brother had some of his ID in English and some in Irish and had major hassle trying to get a green card because of it. They (foreign officials) don't care what your name is, just as long as you don't have two different ones! It's never too late to make the change, but you do need to be thorough if you go about it.

Gael wrote: »
    I think it is becoming more popular, though quite slowly. I've had a few friends and acquaintances ask me for advice on how to do it, since they intend to do it themselves. I've also noticed that it's very popular now on Facebook to use your Irish name, even amongst people who don't use it in their everyday lives or wouldn't be fluent in Irish.
    Hopefully it is.. It can't do any harm but good for the language and anything at this stage in order to salvage is is worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

...on a technical note, you dont "change" your name like you would if you were changing it by deed-poll.
    What you do is "use the Irish form of your name".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I seem to get any post in our area with Irish on it!

...on a technical note, you dont "change" your name like you would if you were changing it by deed-poll.
    What you do is "use the Irish form of your name".

In general yes, but you do 'change' the name that appears on your documentation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Mise, uaireanta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

In general yes, but you do 'change' the name that appears on your documentation.[/QUOTE

My point is that it is still the same name, but different language.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

In general yes, but you do 'change' the name that appears on your documentation.[/QUOTE

Think that can depend on the name. Sometimes people try a bit too hard to come up with a Gaelic version/equivalent of a name which doesn't quite ring true, e.g. using the name Cathal to "translate" Charles, when they are in fact two unconnected names which happen to have a C and an A in them. Likewise, Donncha being used to "translate" Denis. But there are plenty of forenames which don't have a Gaelic root, but still have very commonly used Irish equivalents, e.g. Séamas/Séamus, Antaine, Máire, Seosamh etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

If your name is in the bible, there will be an Irish equilvalent

If I was changeing how it would appear on paper I would normally phrase it as, 'Can I change that to the Irish version of my name''

I know its the same name.

Advertisement