Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repayment of Training Fees

Options
  • 21-09-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Am just looking for a bit of advice. I plan to resign from my current job tomorrow, as I have been offered a better position elsewhere. I never had a contract for my current job and have been there six months. During the course of the six months, I was sent abroad for training to a sister company. I have been told anecdotally by the manager that they have never paid the sister company for any of the training to date, although I assume this is irrelevant as it will have to be paid at some point. My query is; with no contract, can I be liable to repay any of the training fees? At the interview process it was mentioned that the sucessful candidate would be expected to stay for 2-3 years, but like I say there was no written contract ever produced.
    Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Unless you've signed an agreement specifically stating this, then no.

Be careful though, some companies will chance their arm at deducting things like this from final wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks. I reckon they'll try to deduct it from my final wage, so wanted to know beforehand if they could or not rather than getting flustered because I didn't know my rights.
    Now to hand in my notice. Gulp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

If they paid for you to go to college and there was a policy around repayment of fees then you might of been liable. Not in this case, no way. That whole "we expect you to stay 2/3 years" rubbish makes me laugh. They can't expect you to stay for any lenght of time (except notice period). Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭3DataModem

It you haven't signed an agreement, then they can't deduct it.

Advertisement