Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body protector for a child

Options
  • 21-09-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm looking for a body protector for my daughter, just wondering what to look out for, what are good brands etc.

Also where would be a good place to buy one? We're in north co Dublin.

Thanks in advance smile.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I'm a fan of racesafe back protectors, but they are quite expensive, so probably not the best investment for a child.

The first thing you need to do when buying a back protector is to ensure that the one you purchase is sufficient for what your daugther wants to do. Ideally, you should buy one that's Level 3 or above in safety standards that will pass tack inspections for pony club (if that's what she does) and riding school activities. Level 3 is the minimum required for cross country.

Make sure your daughter fits on the back protector and that it isn't too big on her. There's nothing worse than riding in a back protector that's too big and moves around or catches your arms when you're riding (I've been there - not very comfortable! :( ) When she's trying it on in the shop, she should assume a jockey's position and check that the back protector doesn't catch her or restrict her movement. Also make sure it's not too tight around the arms and neck. You also need to make sure that it's not too long on her back and so won't be hit/caught by the tail of the saddle.

If you're daugher is thining of wearing the back protector under a riding jacket, she should bring her jacket with her and see if you can find one to fit under it, but the chances are that you won't, so choosing a colour that will 'blend in' with the jacket would be a good idea, too (if possible).

There are quite a lot of places that sell back protectors - any tack shop in your area will have one. Probably best not to buy one online as you can't check the quality or fit it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭granturismo

ann81 wrote: »
    Also where would be a good place to buy one? We're in north co Dublin.Thanks in advance smile.gif

Equestrian World Maynooth if you're in NW Dublin.

Good advice from Convert. Also remember when she dismounts with the back protector to leave an extra gap between her and the saddle, otherwise the front of the protector gets caught in the saddle pushing her back or jabbing her in the chin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Equestrian World Maynooth if you're in NW Dublin.

Good advice from Convert. Also remember when she dismounts with the back protector to leave an extra gap between her and the saddle, otherwise the front of the protector gets caught in the saddle pushing her back or jabbing her in the chin.

I know that only too well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ann81

Thanks for the replies :) convert you're very good!

I got her a Racesafe from Holmestead, happy mommy, happy daughter :D

Advertisement