Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prey - find stolen or lost phone/laptop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

We've started installed Prey on new laptops at work, if the laptop has a front facing camera it even mails you a pic of the person using it along with its location :eek: I'm assuming it's using nearby wifi networks to figure out where it is or else we're all being tracked far more that I realised!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Would a simple wipe of the phone or laptop HD not render this useless? If the thief knew what they were doing..

cormie wrote: »
    Would a simple wipe of the phone or laptop HD not render this useless? If the thief knew what they were doing..

Yes, below taken from original link.
    It's not fool-proof, especially if the thief wants to entirely wipe your computer or phone, but if that's not the case, it gives you a fighting chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That's a pity alright :( Wonder are there any free opensource solutions out there that will get around that limitation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

U could use app lock to prevent it being uninstalled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

U could use app lock to prevent it being uninstalled

A complete wipe would remove everything, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

well if someone pulls your battery then sim card that'll pretty much do it too unless the phone is locked to a certain sim card... (unsure as to whether the standard HTC security settings provide for this)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Yep and if you car gets stolen and the thief paints it and changes the plates..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

well if someone pulls your battery then sim card that'll pretty much do it too unless the phone is locked to a certain sim card... (unsure as to whether the standard HTC security settings provide for this)

On Android at least, you can lock prey to the current SIM and if it gets replaced you can have it send a text to another number.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

just installed it there. Good idea. But, if the person who stole your phone removes your sim before you get a chance to send the text what will happen?

Also how much does it cost to send the text?

If it could lock via the IMEI it would be brill!
    Anyone know of something similar but better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

sealgaire wrote: »
    just installed it there. Good idea. But, if the person who stole your phone removes your sim before you get a chance to send the text what will happen?

There's an option to activate it when the sim card is changed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Would it be worth not having a password on your laptop so if it was stolen the person might just start using it(and get there photo taken) rather than getting someone to wipe it as they can't log in.

I've noticed it with mobiles, if there's a lock on the phone you'll never get it back but without any lock there's a good chance the finder will try and contact someone in your phone book.

I found a guys phone and called up one of his contacts and got the phone successfully returned to him, About a month later I lost mine in a club in dublin, got a call a week later and my phone was returned. If either of had phone locks we'd have never got them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

sealgaire wrote: »
    If it could lock via the IMEI it would be brill!
    Anyone know of something similar but better?
    Won't Vodafone/meteor/O2/Three do that for you anyway if you ring them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Would it be worth not having a password on your laptop so if it was stolen the person might just start using it(and get there photo taken) rather than getting someone to wipe it as they can't log in.

I've noticed it with mobiles, if there's a lock on the phone you'll never get it back but without any lock there's a good chance the finder will try and contact someone in your phone book.

I found a guys phone and called up one of his contacts and got the phone successfully returned to him, About a month later I lost mine in a club in dublin, got a call a week later and my phone was returned. If either of had phone locks we'd have never got them back.

How did he get your number or someone elses number in your phonebook if the phone was locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Keith186 wrote: »
    How did he get your number or someone elses number in your phonebook if the phone was locked?

The phone wasn't locked, that's my point. Unless the finder/thief can get straight in an start using the phone/laptop it's no use.

Advertisement