Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM unit for a house alarm

Options
  • 21-09-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Havent really got a clue what Im talking about but I know what we want. We have a self monitored alarm that sends us a text notification upon activation via an eircom landline.

We want to get rid of the eircom line and install a gsm unit that texts/rings us if the alarm is activated but we dont want it monitored by anyone but ourselves and we dont want to have to top it up every month to keep it in service. Anyone know if this even exists or close to it and where can we get one here?

Thanks a million for sticking with me!!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are a number of units you can use.What make of alarm have you?
    If you can use the manufacturers own devices you may also be able to have the ability to us text commands into the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

Cliocon wrote: »
    Havent really got a clue what Im talking about but I know what we want. We have a self monitored alarm that sends us a text notification upon activation via an eircom landline.

We want to get rid of the eircom line and install a gsm unit that texts/rings us if the alarm is activated but we dont want it monitored by anyone but ourselves and we dont want to have to top it up every month to keep it in service. Anyone know if this even exists or close to it and where can we get one here?

Thanks a million for sticking with me!!

As koolkid said there are a lot of system that will do what you want with regard monitoring the alarm yourself, plus give you the ability to send commands for arming/disarming the panel.

With regards the sim you use, you could either use a bill sim or ready to go sim. If you register the ready to go sim on line you will be able to check the credit plus top it up on line. Activating the alarm once every 5 months will keep the sim active. It will work out a lot cheaper than using a bill sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cliocon

Thanks for the replies, we have a Europlex Technologies Wireless alarm.

How much generally are the GSM units and can an ordinary joe soap get there hands on them?

Thanks again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The SigNET?
    That GSM unit is around €250 . Gives you a lot on remote access.

Cliocon wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, we have a Europlex Technologies Wireless alarm.

How much generally are the GSM units and can an ordinary joe soap get there hands on them?

Thanks again

Very easy to get your hands on and set up to use but you will need engineer access to the alarm to set it up. Do you have the engineer code ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

It is important to point out that the GSM method is not secure and can be blocked, so it wont send a text message. For selfmonitoring, it is fine!

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    It is important to point out that the GSM method is not secure and can be blocked, so it wont send a text message. For selfmonitoring, it is fine!

Your contradicting yourself with that statement :D

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »

I wouldn't say it fine. It the customer has been made aware of its vulnerabilities & is happy to use it for self monitoring & remote acces then thats their choice. With regard to central station monitoring we would not connect a GSM for this purpose.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

koolkid wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it fine. It the customer has been made aware of its vulnerabilities & is happy to use it for self monitoring & remote acces then thats their choice. With regard to central station monitoring we would not connect a GSM for this purpose.
    If it were central station I would use another method, but for self monitoring it is important to remember that you are fully not secure.

Advertisement