Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Fiesta 2010 1.4 Tdci

Options
  • 21-09-2010 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

My father is interested in getting the Ford Fiesta 1.4 Tdci (2010). He's not great with the ole internet so has asked me to check out the reviews. I'd be interested in particular to hear from those who are or were owners of this Model/Spec car.

Looking for info in particular about:
    - MPG
    - What is the diesel engine like in this car
    - Known problems
    - What to look out for when buying a used one of these
    - Drive quality, noise in the cabin
    - etc.....

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,677 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

cbrady99 wrote: »
    My father is interested in getting the Ford Fiesta 1.4 Tdci (2010). He's not great with the ole internet so has asked me to check out the reviews. I'd be interested in particular to hear from those who are or were owners of this Model/Spec car.

Looking for info in particular about:
    - MPG
    - What is the diesel engine like in this car
    - Known problems
    - What to look out for when buying a used one of these
    - Drive quality, noise in the cabin
    - etc.....

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Is he doing big mileage, or will he be changing the vehicle again in the next 3-4 years? If no to either of the above, buy the petrol version. Cost €52 a year more to tax the petrol, but it comes in €1,205 cheaper - and will have better availability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

My uncle swapped from a 2008 Focus 1.6 to a Titanium spec one this year. Good finish on the interior, nice spec and roomy for what it is. Boot is a bit small though. You definitely know it's a diesel and it feels peppy enough when on boost. He claims he's getting about 4.3l/100km which is well over 60 mpg too. That's mainly dual carriageways to work though

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Anjin

The other half has one of these. Lovely motor to drive. VERY easy on diesel and not too bad on a long run. It won't break any land speed records but then again it was never meant to. All in all I can't fault it.

Hope this helps :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Car is good (biased) but the engine is a bit weak imho. Pity the 1.6TDCI 90bhp lump was never available here.

p.s. I see it (1.6) can now be had in a new Fista Sportsvan (awful name) but still not in the regular hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,156 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unless he is doing hefty mileage the premium of buying a diesel Fiesta is a waste of money and lack of use may cause more problems than anything.

Imho the Fiesta Titanium is not worth the extra money either, air conditioning and possibly bluetooth aside there really isn't much more in it over the basic Style model. Style is pretty well equipped with alloy wheels, fog lights, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

My father has the older Fiesta with the same engine. Very reliable and economical, but not the fastest car either. He's happy with it though.

If I was doing small mileage and planning on keeping the car for a few years yet, I think I'd plunge for the petrol instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Good car, slow engine. i'd get the petrol 1.4 TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

The previous model 1.4 tdci used to suffer from leaky injector seals. It would be an idea to make sure that is not an issue on the new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

These are the engines available to the UK Fiesta:

1.25 60PS Stage V, 5-Speed Manual
    1.25 82PS Stage V, 5-Speed Manual
    1.4 96PS Stage V, 5-Speed Manual
    1.4 96PS Stage V, Automatic
    1.6 120PS Stage V, 5-Speed Manual
    1.4TDCi 70PS DPF Stage V, 5-Speed Manual

plus 2 versions of the excellent 1.6 Diesel:
    1.6TDCi 95PS DPF Stage V, 5-Speed Manual Torque 220Nm = 107g/co2
    1.6TDCi 95PS DPF Stage V, 5-Speed Manual Torque 200Nm = 98g/co2

My pick would be the 1.6tdci. This would qualify for the cheapest tax band

Now, paddy poverty spec options:

1.25 82 PS, 5 Speed Manual
    1.4 96 PS, 4 Speed Automatic
    1.6 120 PS, 5 Speed Manual
    1.4 TDCi 70 PS, 5 Speed Manual

EDIT:

If it was for me new, I would go up North and buy a 1.6 TDCI econetic one with a/c as standard but with a km clock. These are £14,000 = €16,000 odd, plus 2k VRT plus 1k for VAT differences etc. Landed for 19k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

€19k for a Fiesta is madness though:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,156 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

At least we don't get the 60bhp version of the 1.25 litre engine down here. :eek:

To be honest if buying new, I would wait if possible until next year when the Fiesta gets a mild facelift and the new 1.0 litre Ecoboost engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I would have gone for the 1.4 petrol if it were available with a manual gearbox, I don't know why Ford doesn't sell it here because it is in band B like the 1.25 petrol is. I wouldn't be choosing the diesel if it is mostly town driving because modern diesels don't like stop/start motoring and tend to cause a lot of expensive problems if they are driven around town all the time. Also you have to factor in things like DMFs, turbos, injectors and DPFs which are likely to go wrong over the lifetime of a diesel(well in fairness the turbo shouldn't because at 68 PS the Fiesta doesn't exactly have a massive turbo) and none of those things are cheap to replace and would easily balance out the fuel savings.

The entry level Style is decently equipped(amazingly for an entry spec Irish car), though I would probably go for the Titanium for the a/c, make sure to buy the 2011 MY version because that has ESP as standard, making the Fiesta the first supermini in Ireland to have it as standard across the range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cbrady99

Many thanks to all who have replied. Your info will definately help.

He will not be buying the car from new. He knows of a neighbour who will be selling this car at the turn of the year. He doesn't want to approach him until he gets some info on whether its a good car to buy or not. If not then he doesn't have to show his interest ;) He likes the fact that he knows the history of the car and what type of owners they are.

To answer some of your questions:
    - It will be the family car with just my parents using it so mileage wont be too high. Probably about 10-12k a year.
    - There wont be any driving in town.

Keep the comments coming, it makes for interesting reading :o

Advertisement