Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much hot water for showers calculations!

Options
  • 21-09-2010 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

ok lads, sick to the teeth of deciding what size hot water cylinder to get. . 300ltr or 500ltr, or 300, or 500. . .

to make a long story short, it went back and forth and its now a 300ltr.

both plumber and local plumbing supply company agree that 300ltr is more than enough,

hot water will be for sink/basins and most importantly bath and showers.

5 basins
    1 sink
    5 showers
    1 bath.

what worried me most is the showers.. . . how much would water are these babies going to suck up. . . so, . . i took a milk carton, 1 ltr. . and went to the two diff showers we have in the current house. 1 is electric, , , a piddle type thing, although if u know no better ud think it was fine. . . and the power shower type then we have in the main bathroom.. .
    here are the results. ..

power shower. . . . to fill a 1ltr carton it took 5.5secs.
    electric shower . . .to fill a 1ltr carton it took 10 secs

so based on this. .
    a 10 min shower in the power shower will eat 110 ltrs
    a 10 min shower in the elecrtic shower will eat 60 ltrs

I wont have an electric shower so no point in looking at the piddle machine.. its the pumped one id be look at pressure wise. . . as the house is all pressurised. . .

3 questions,. . .
    Are my calculations accruate to suggest a tank size?
    is 300 ltrs enough.
    is bloody ten mins way too short for a shower. . . right now i seem to take my time. . id say its more like 20 mins. .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭country home

first thing i can add myself to this is, u dont use purely hot water when showering. . . ud scall urself. . . so in that sense, maybe cut off 25% maybe???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i would think 300 litres is plenty unless you predict all 5 showers going simultaneously for 20 mins?

I take it the showers have thermostatic mixers on anyway to avoid scalding?

Advertisement