Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 38- Pork Steak in a creamy sauce with green veg

Options
  • 21-09-2010 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Pork steak with creamy mustard sauce served with green veg.

This is an easy recipe for pork steak which I find can be tough when roasted, but if cooked in the following, it is incredibly tender. It's also a pretty cheap recipe. This recipe serves 2 adults, 2 children.

Ingredients:

1. One pork steak.
    2. One onion.
    3. Half a pepper ( yellow works best, but whatever you have).
    4. 5/6 mushrooms.
    5. Olive oil.
    6. Mustard ( I use french dijon-smooth).
    9. Half a pot of reduced fat creme fraiche.
    10. Optional splash of white wine.
    11. French beans to serve with and/or mangetout.

Sear the entire pork steak ( cut off excess fat first) in a pan with the olive oil all around. Then take out of the pan and cut into medallions, put back the medallions into the pan for about 5 minutes, flipping sides until nearly but not quite cooked. Remove from pan and place in a plate with foil covering. They will continue to cook and remain tender.

Then put the chopped onion, pepper and mushrooms into the same pan and cook on a low heat until softened. At this stage you can add an optional splash of white wine if you like. Add half a pot of low fat creme fraiche and 5/6 teaspoons mustard ( quite a lot). Add back the meat.

Serve with french beans/mangetout. You can also serve with pasta if you like or new potatoes but I find the pork is quite filling and with a decent portion of veg it's quite enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

That was delicious! Thank you!

Mustard isnt something I usually cook with so I was a bit hesitant using 5tsp. In the end I used 3 of wholegrain because thats all that was in the house.

I had more than enough with the pork, sauce and veg but I had the give the OH some baby potatoes because he couldnt fathom a meal without carbs. Said they were a delightful accompaniment.

Thank you!

(Also, its a very pretty dish, wish I had taken my camera out)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

can't wait to try this, gonna take the pork steak out of the freezer now - and post back tomorrow - wil try to get a pic done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

We had this for dinner this evening, Wantobe, and used about half of the thicker end of a small pork steak for two people. We went with potatoes instead of mange tout.

It was very nice, so thanks for the recipe!

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=7500

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

only got around to trying this today and my mam who doesn't really like pork - loved this, served it with seasoned roasties

thanks for the recipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Mmmm, Little Alex, looks delicious with the fried potatoes. We're trying to be healthy in our house so we stick to the green veg but the pork tastes fairly luxurious so it's nice anyway.

That's one thing about this recipe- if you're someone who wouldn't normally try pork steak or like it, you REALLY should try it cooked like this- it is very tender.

Next time we have it I'm going to take a photo too- with greens!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Made this dish this evening. Only thing I did different was to add some chopped spinach in with the mushrooms. Served it with sauteed jerusalem artichokes.
    The pork was very tender, the OH went in for seconds.

Thanks Wantobe

29w9x68.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Mmmm, sauteed jerusalem artichokes...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

So I have a question...
    I made this dish last night as I had a pork steak in the fridge and it needed to be used up.
    All ok, but after I added the mustard (which I found at the back of the press) I foolishly looked at the date and it’s out since last year. I tasted it and it does taste good but tasted a bit funny (don’t know if its just me being paranoid). Does mustard go off??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

OP

is "pork steak" = "pork fillet" i.e the long fillet you can buy in a pack?

This receipe sounds nice, even for my unadventerous boys OH and 7 year old!)

Advertisement