Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm not going off - HTC Desire

Options
  • 21-09-2010 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of an odd one this!

Since late last week, my alarm for work in the morning hasn't been going off. As a result of which, I've been 15 - 20 minutes late for work each morning.

When I got into work, I set a test alarm for 9.30am (just a few minutes ago) and it worked fine.

It's definitely enabled for 8.30am Mon - Fri. Why didn't you set a second alarm you might ask? Well, last night, I thought I possibly figured out why it had not been working. I have Advanced Task Killer running with an Aggressive Auto-kill to kill background tasks which weren't needed and preserve the battery (and as a result of this.. with no Wifi / BT / Data on, I haven't charged the phone since last Thursday). So I thought this was more than likely killing the 'Clock' process and that's why the alarm wasn't going off. So I switched the Auto Kill option off last night.

But it didn't make a difference and still woke up at 8.55am with a couple of "sh*ts" and "f*cks" thrown in for good measure.

Anyone have any suggestions on what might be happening?

PS - and before you ask, the phone is not switched off at night. It's on Airplane Mode.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

basquille wrote: »
    I have Advanced Task Killer running with an Aggressive Auto-kill to kill background tasks which weren't needed and preserve the battery

I'd remove that regardless.

If you are rooted, install setCPU, or Juicedefender (don't know if you need root) may do similar.

There are many articles on why these aren't necessary and actually impinge on battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

nereid wrote: »
    I'd remove that regardless.

If you are rooted, install setCPU, or Juicedefender (don't know if you need root) may do similar.

There are many articles on why these aren't necessary and actually impinge on battery life.
    Cheers nereid. I'm rooted alright.

Will read up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Im having the same problem

The general consensus on other message boards is that any task killer app is more than likely the problem.

People recommend either uninstalling task killer apps.. or adding the clock to the ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I found task killers to create more problems than they solve. I haven't used one in months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

basquille wrote: »
    The general consensus on other message boards is that any task killer app is more than likely the problem.

People recommend either uninstalling task killer apps.. or adding the clock to the ignore list.

Basquille, I had the same issue but my HTC which is not rooted. I just un-ticked the alarm in task killer app and it has worked perfect ever since.

Vanbis wrote: »
    Basquille, I had the same issue but my HTC which is not rooted. I just un-ticked the alarm in task killer app and it has worked perfect ever since.
    Yeah, I added it to the 'Ignore' list. Will probably set my iPhone for tomorrow morning as well (in case).

Might remove the Task Killer entirely.. or look into another one as there are real mixed opinions on the 'Advanced Task Killer' app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

JustinOval wrote: »
    Looks like a nice in-depth article.. that's my tea-break reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'm using setcpu and have basically set the "screen off" cpu to be 245mhz and powersave mode (as opposed to scale on demand).

Battery life is 2 days now rather than 1 with the same usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Keith186

My clock is on the ignore list for ATK and it always works fine.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

nereid wrote: »
    I'm using setcpu and have basically set the "screen off" cpu to be 245mhz and powersave mode (as opposed to scale on demand).

Battery life is 2 days now rather than 1 with the same usage.

I dont have powersave mode!

I have "userspace" "ondemand" and "performance".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

i'm running version 2.0.3 of setCPU on a desire and under the "Scaling" menu i have:

powersave
    interactive
    userspace
    ondemand
    performance

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hmm odd! Same version that I have!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I find the stock Alarm is a bit basic. Try this one for size and see if it runs for you

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.angrydoughnuts.android.alarmclock

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Task Killers abuse an Android API to work, they essentially break the Android lifecycle, this is as you can imagine bad, Android itself deals with the running of your applications and closes/kills them when appropriate, adding a 3rd party app that interferes with this is bound to cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I invested in Klaxon not too long ago so no longer use the default Alarm Clock.

Well worth it imo.

Uninstalled 'Advanced Task Killer' and it worked this morning, so think I'll leave it uninstalled for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

i use advanced task killer with the stock alarm and it has yet to not go off

you have me worried now, absolutely hate the feeling of waking up, looking at fone and seeing u have 5minutes to get to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

When I installed PHP for Android on my Hero, it caused the alarm to get delayed and it went off ~15mins later than it should have...

• Advertisement
Advertisement