Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 slim 4gb and problems with online gaming

Options
  • 21-09-2010 3:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

This is just to let anyone who may be planning on buying the 4gb slim edition of the xbox 360.

The console doesn't actually have a hard drive, it does in fact have a "flash drive"
    Basically what this means is that if you plan on using the console to play online via live, you will be very limited as to what you can do.

e.g. If you plan on playing Halo Reach, you will be able to play some elements of the game online, but most wont be available to you, this is because of the lack of an actual hard drive in the system.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103477-No-Halo-Reach-Co-op-for-4GB-360-Slim-Owners

Be warned people, you are way better off buying the 250gb for the extra €50 as its not just the Halo games that are affected by this.

On a happy note, I bought the 4gb only last week from Gamestop, I was very upset to discover that I couldn't play reach on co-op on live, so I did a bit of reasearch online and discovered the reason why, (see above link).
    I rang Gamestop and complained about this, as in fairness, I only bought the console to play Halo Reach online, they redirected me to Microsoft, who were so rude to me, the guy told me to buy a hard drive and my problems would be sorted, my problem (apart from, I shouldn't have to buy a new hd for a new console) was that they don't actually sell hd's for the 4gb slim model. No matter how much I explained this to the guy from Microsost, he kept repeating that "I should buy a hard drive and it would work"
    So I rang Gamestop back, and wow they were fantastic, they rang MS on my behalf and got no joy either, so the guy rang his head office, wo told him to tell me to bring the console back and they would (for the extra €50) replace it for the 250gb model.
    Now thats customer service for you, shame Microsoft couldn't be so fair with me.
    Gamestop will get my business from now on, I'd be mad to go anywhere else, as if I had, I would probaly be stuck with the 4gb system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

This comes up a bit on the Xbox.com forums. Unfortunately some games require a hard drive to play and the XBox recognises the 4GB internal memory as a memory unit just like any USB flash drives.

Fair play to Gamestop though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

bucks73 wrote: »
    This comes up a bit on the Xbox.com forums. Unfortunately some games require a hard drive to play and the XBox recognises the 4GB internal memory as a memory unit just like any USB flash drives.

Fair play to Gamestop though.

Thats true , but don't those games normally have it on the box that a HDD is required for play?

Edit: Just read the article more closely, seems halo had no such warning :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The Reach issue is being patched and I'd imagine that if it's being fixed then it'll be rolled out to all games which require a hard drive and may not recognise the 4GB internal flash storage as appropriate via a firmware patch.

And yes calex71, they do state it on the box. The problem being that the 4GB doesn't report as having a hard drive and consumers aren't aware of this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

calex71 wrote: »
    Thats true , but don't those games normally have it on the box that a HDD is required for play?

Well I for one would of presumed the 4Gb was some sort of hard drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stacey_girl

You are not alone in that.

Also, I rang Microsoft and was told " there will be no fix for this as it isn't a problem in theire eyes, you will need to buy a hard drive in order to use all the features of games online"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Except they are working on a fix.

MS fixing Reach campaign co-op issue. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

You are not alone in that.

Also, I rang Microsoft and was told " there will be no fix for this as it isn't a problem in theire eyes, you will need to buy a hard drive in order to use all the features of games online"

I'm sure the front line would not know about any patches etc coming and are only following what they were told in their training or off the top of their head.

As per:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-15-ms-working-to-resolve-reach-co-op-issue
    Most likely they will release a fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chicharit0

same here :(

i ordered a 4gb the other day, just wondering does anyone know if fifa 11 will work without the hdd?? i will probably end up getting one sometime in the future but not right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stacey_girl

Chicharit0 wrote: »
    same here :(

i ordered a 4gb the other day, just wondering does anyone know if fifa 11 will work without the hdd?? i will probably end up getting one sometime in the future but not right now.

I can play all games on the 4gb, the only problem is when I try to play games online with my friends, you wont be able to play anything online that requires a hard drive.

Would you not be better off spending the extra €50 now, rather than over €100 for a Hard Drive for the 4gb system later, I read yesterday that they are due out at the end of this month or early October.
    I see that they are for sale in the states at the moment for $129.99, which means they will be around €100 here.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=xbox+360+slim+hard+drive&sprefix=xbox+360+slim+hard

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

just to let people know I bought the 250GB HD for my elite (120GB) for €72.99 in HMV..considering they were charging €69.99 for the 120GB the extra €3 was a no-brainer :D

Still better off to get the 250GB model for the sake of €50 extra but I'm sure there's some ppl out there looking for a bigger hard drive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement