Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Heat Capacity

Options
  • 21-09-2010 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey everyone,

I am designing a system for very high temp (~500 - ~1000 *C) applications, does anyone know some high heat capacity/insulating materials that are relatively common?

I am looking to use them as a sort of heat sink/shield for an electronic circuit.

Yes I know I am asking alot but the time frame that it will be exposed to >500*C is less than 5 min at a time.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Common?..insulating?...high shc...?

ding ding ding.. Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Refractory ceramic ie firebrick ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 safawafa

Hmm, firebrick may work? needs to be easy to work with though (machined into a desired shape inexpensively)

BUT, I forgot to mention one crucial characteristic. It must be essentially transparent for wavelengths between ~2-5 microns. So the electromagnetic absorption in this range must be quite low. water does not meet this quality and since its liquid, its use in a more intricate design may be tricky. However I may have to settle for using a very shallow interface of water infront of the desired electromagnetic "window" if nothing else is feasible.

I was thinking of a multi-material design, a high shp heat sink that is surrounded on both sides (outside exposed to the heat and inside adjacent to the circuitry) by insulating material.. with a small window of electromagnetically transparent material (glass of some sort?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Hmm.

Any chance you'll be "diggin' for oil"?
    Oil exploration company I suppose designing a smart module following a drill tip to sense hydrocarbons.

In response to your request however, no idea.
    If this is not your field, try get some info on how they design their sensory equipment. Patent applications and the like could help.

Advertisement