Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I study for Irish?...simply just learn answers off?

Options
  • 20-09-2010 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

:(..Especially for An Triail....do I just learn a summary off and put in bits of the question or what?...will that even work for all questions?
    ...same for poetry too?....
    and also do I just learn off different essay topics by heart?...if so what essay topics do I learn?...:eek:

:confused:....*panic*..:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Danny_H

Depends on your standard of irish.
    If it's poor you could just learn off a summary in your teachers idiomatic irish (although when we got a new teacher in for 6th year this was much more risky as her irish was no better than ours, but that's besides the point)
    If you are fluent or close to it (attended an irish school ?) you should read the summaries to get the actual story clear in your head and compose the answer to the question as you would in English.

A girl in my year was well capable of composing A-standard irish but still learnt off the summaries and sample answers and she did wonderfully in every irish exam she's taken. You still need to be able to understand the question and bend the learnt-off material towards the topic. You have a year to try different things, hand up extra assignments to your teachers to correct if you want to test both ways of going about it thoroughly. For some students this might be a tad over the top :P
    I didn't really care for irish and did the minimum amount of work to guarantee a pass at least (HL) as my points would come from elsewhere.

Both methods can work and produce results if executed properly but which you should use is down to personal preference and your standard of irish.

[using "...." all over the place and words like "panic" will not be helpful. Get in the right mindset now! Believe that you'll do well (or at least the best you could possibly do)]

Hope this helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

*If* you understand the question then an adapted learned off anwer is fine, that's what I did. If you understand your learned off answers then it's easy to change them to fit the question but don't expect to get to write anything out exactly. Like the an trial question last year was a bit mental but i kinda pasted bits from loads of learned off anwsers to make it make sense. For essays there's alot of general vocab that can be used in any essays, all the 'in my opinion', 'the government should' etc. closer to the time it will become apparent which essays are more likely and then you can start learning off paragraphs. For poetry once you understand the poem and can translate it into your own irish that's the main thing, I learned off a few answers for the poems that my teacher thought were most likely

Advertisement