Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily Parking

Options
  • 20-09-2010 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Had to park up at the Lough today to get free parking. The car parks cost 15 euro for the bones of a day. Anywhere nearer than the Lough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

There are two park and ride facilities for UCC students at Pouladuff and Dennehy's Cross. As they're free, you do need to get there pretty early to get a space though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

There are two park and ride facilities for UCC students at Pouladuff and Dennehy's Cross. As they're free, you do need to get there pretty early to get a space though.
    You can park in Blackash, out by the Kinsale road roundabout, and its not too hard to get parking there. The UCC P&R bus goes from there to pouladuff and on to college.
    The car park in Pouladuff normally fills up by about 15 to 9 but if you're going to be in early its pretty handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

There is also a car park across the road from the county hall which charges €4 a day and I am told it never fills up:) Used it for the first time today but will probably use the park and ride on the 2 days that I'm in early as €4 per day is a lot when you are a poor student:( What is the best time to be at the Pouladuff or Dennehy's cross car park to guarantee a parking space?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pn7xjrqy6fhta1

Are they definetly free. What time do the buses come at. If you arrived at 8.50 would you have to wait for the 9.00 bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

You've to be at Dennehys Cross about 8 o clock to get a space, on all bu the quietest mornings..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

Had a lecture from 9-10. Parked in the visitor car park. Cost 1 euro for the hour. After that at 10 went up to Dennehys Cross. One space left. Delighted, although I found out that the bus ride is only once at 8. I woud have to leave about 7.30 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 9thbit

The timetable for the busses back and forth to the ucc park and ride: http://www.ucc.ie/en/build/commuting/parkandride/Timetable/2010-Term-printed-Timetable-2010-09-20.pdf

I find you can usually get a space in pouladuff before 10am and anytime after 1ish when people start leaving. If thats full, just go to blackash as said above. Thats guaranteed parking. The bus only starts from black ash at 9:05 though, so if youre getting in before that, just go to pouladuff.

Think I'm going to try the Pouladuff car park this week, had a few very stressful days getting through the city traffic last week:( Would probably be home earlier driving from pouladuff. If I had to go to Black ash to get a space would I have to pay there? The whole getting to and from UCC has been the most stressful part of starting....don't know can I cope with another 4 years of it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

lindtee wrote: »
    Think I'm going to try the Pouladuff car park this week, had a few very stressful days getting through the city traffic last week:( Would probably be home earlier driving from pouladuff. If I had to go to Black ash to get a space would I have to pay there? The whole getting to and from UCC has been the most stressful part of starting....don't know can I cope with another 4 years of it:(

Where were you driving from Lindtee? imo traffic wasn't actually bad around UCC at all last week. Wait til the winter and rain comes, then it gets chronic.

Anyway, if people are coming from the city or county public transport is the way to go. BE run morning student specials to UCC/CIT from the main towns around the county and there is a combo ticket for Irish Rails Cork suburban services & the no.5.

It's either that or find people living round UCC who'll give or rent a space to you, get up really early to use the P&Rs, or pay through the nose for parking.

If I had to go to Black ash to get a space would I have to pay there?

no, black ash is free too. you get your ticket as usual at the gates. Then you get the ucc bus, not the actual city park and ride bus, there's a separate mini bus for ucc. Give your ticket to the bus driver when you get on that and he'll stamp it for you.

Then when you get dropped back to black ash later, go into the ticket office and hand them your stamped ticket, they will give you an exit ticket for free. simple. you don't pay at the paystation or anything like that, all free! joys of being a student! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

Where is blackash?

Where is blackash?

just off the kinsale road roundabout. opposite the city dump.

Traffic wasn't bad coming in but on 2 days heading home it was awful, spent 40 mins just getting from near the county hall to the other side of the city. There is probably other routes I could take home and I could avoid the city centre, I'm only driving from Glanmire btw!!!

Another option I was thinking of was parking somewhere in mayfield area and getting the number 8 out to ucc. The train/bus combo would be an idea but the cost might knock that one on the head. Another worry of mine is that I have 3 sons, and that I might need to get home or to their school in an emergency.....

Going to check out other options mentioned though. Thanks.

I'm only driving from Glanmire btw!!!

Blackash (or pouladuff if you need to be in for 9) would be your best and cheapest bet i would think. you'd need to tackle the south link/tunnel traffic alright, but its probably the quickest imo.

9thbit wrote: »
    Blackash (or pouladuff if you need to be in for 9) would be your best and cheapest bet i would think. you'd need to tackle the south link/tunnel traffic alright, but its probably the quickest imo.

Kinsale road roundabout seems very awkward. Dennehys Cross or Pouladuff sounds easier. Would anyone have a map of near UCC that includes Blackash incase i do try park there.

Kinsale road roundabout seems very awkward. Dennehys Cross or Pouladuff sounds easier. Would anyone have a map of near UCC that includes Blackash incase i do try park there.

To get to Pouladuff you'll be coming off at the same interchange (The KRR) as you would for Black Ash if you're coming from the East, both are far more accessible then Dennehys Cross (unless you like being stuck in B-Towns suburban traffic).

To get to Pouladuff you'll be coming off at the same interchange (The KRR) as you would for Black Ash if you're coming from the East, both are far more accessible then Dennehys Cross (unless you like being stuck in B-Towns suburban traffic).
    Well Im coming from Mallow.

Well im coming from Mallow

Bus & train is surely a far better option then driving then. Why spend time stuck in traffic as you negotiate rush hour traffic in and around the city to then get to a P&R to wait for a bus to UCC?

Mallow - Cork by train is 20 minutes with another 20 mins for no.5 from Kent to UCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Tbh, despite all its problems the car is by far your best bet. Try finding free parking, I can't tell you any places as I don't want to wake up tomorrow with my parking spot taken,, but plenty exist on our side of the city.

You could take public transport if you want as invincible said, but coming from Mallow by car you will actually encounter less trafic by car then if you had to get the no5. It will be way cheaper and you don't have to use abysimal public transport.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Cian92 wrote: »
    Tbh, despite all its problems the car is by far your best bet. Try finding free parking, I can't tell you any places as I don't want to wake up tomorrow with my parking spot taken,, but plenty exist on our side of the city.

You could take public transport if you want as invincible said, but coming from Mallow by car you will actually encounter less trafic by car then if you had to get the no5. It will be way cheaper and you don't have to use abysimal public transport.

Don't think its "way" cheaper tbh, depends on your car and what you spend a week on petrol. Abysimal, tbh it could be way worse! Bus evry 15 minutes during the day, every half hour for the train in the morning and evening, and every hour during the day. As regards the number five and traffic, that all depends on what time you go in, you are going to get traffic coming in by car anyway!

3 hours free in the Mardyke, you could chance the Mardyke walk as well, but there have been clampers around recently. It is handier to have the car, but a pain to park unless you find somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Don't think its "way" cheaper tbh, depends on your car and what you spend a week on petrol.

Well if somebody already has a car all you have to factor in is petrol and the occasional servicing of the car.
    Abysimal, tbh it could be way worse! Bus evry 15 minutes during the day, every half hour for the train in the morning and evening, and every hour during the day. As regards the number five and traffic, that all depends on what time you go in, you are going to get traffic coming in by car anyway!

I had to get the bus from UCC to town the other day, it was 10 minutes late, I haven't a clue about the one to Kent station. Any experience I've had of our public transport system has not been favourable.

About the traffic thing, if he is coming from Mallow by car he will avoid all traffic, maybe hit a bit on Shanakill if coming in at rush hour. However, if he has to use the no5 bus he will hit way more traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

3 hours free in the Mardyke, you could chance the Mardyke walk as well, but there have been clampers around recently. It is handier to have the car, but a pain to park unless you find somewhere!

I heard you can get banned from the gym if caught using the car park for college so probably not the best move to be chancing that.

I park out near the Lough most days and walk, it's about the closest Ive found where parking is free, The main road all across from supervalue and down is all free parking, no parking sings in sight.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Redisle wrote: »
    I heard you can get banned from the gym if caught using the car park for college so probably not the best move to be chancing that.

I park out near the Lough most days and walk, it's about the closest Ive found where parking is free, The main road all across from supervalue and down is all free parking, no parking sings in sight.

Didn't hear that, but I jknow the staff used get narky with us sometimes, cos we'd have lectures down there and some of the lads would park in the Mardyke. no one was banned though!

Redisle wrote: »

Ya parked on that road once. Outside Kelts salon which happens to be my aunts. Its not too bad but parking at Dennehys Cross is slightly closer if you get there in time. Marginally closer now.

We will see so. How much is it for train and bus a week? There is no way im changing from car to bus. I get very little traffic in the mornings.

Advertisement