Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you ever tempted to go back

Options
  • 20-09-2010 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all

Off the fags over a year now,did it with the champix.Have gone out loads of times and never took so much as a drag and was never tempted.

I have noticed however that the nights were different,e.g not bothering going to the smoking area,not having the same craic that id usually have although id still have a good time ,ive also been a moody git on and off ever since i quit with a very short temper even though previously i was very laid back and rarely got moody and very rarely got angry.

Does anyone else find they suffer the same and wonder would they be better off having a few now and again if it will cheer them up.

Maybe it was a side affect of the champix but a few people have said i no longer have patience and am very moody ever since i quit.

Id hate to go back on them after being so proud of kicking the habit but theres no point being a miserable git the whole time.

anyone have any bit of advice if they suffered the same.

cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

This is not medical advice, but here are two pointers to information in the publc domain in relation to varenicline (generic name for Champix / Chantix)

http://www.121doc.co.uk/champix.html#2368 (online pharmacy in UK - they sell stuff, but are also inforamtivne) - " As Champix is a 12 week treatment, any side effects will usually disappear within a few days as your body adapts to the medication ... Rare side effects ... varenicline tablets do cause some uncommon side effects, ... depression, changes in behaviour, mood swings, agitation and suicidal thoughts or actions ... "

http://www.medicines.ie/searchresults.aspx?term=champix&searchtype=AdvancedSearch (download the PIL in PDF format)

While I don't wish to be alarmist, reports like this one need to be heeded.

Any persistent mood-change is a cause for concern and maybe you could ask your medical practitioner for an appropriate referral. There may be no connection between the the tablets you were on (you have stopped, haven't you?), stopping smoking and your current feelings, but whatevere the genesis of these feelings, as an ex-smoker myself (18 months off them, went 'cold-turkey') I would strongly encourage you not to start smoking again.

Advertisement