Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great article on the current problems with Android

Options
  • 20-09-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Thought this was a great article on the current problems with Android (and the solution):

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/09/20/editorial-let-android-be-android/

I know we haven't got that much bloatware here yet, but if it is allowed to continue it will be likely getting a Dell PC and not having the ability to uninstalled the crap you don't want (unless you root your phone which most joe bloggs aren't going to do). It will get Android a bad name, just when it is getting a good name.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

For me it's the on-going lack of a paid Marketplace. I upgraded from a 32gb 3GS iPhone to a Galaxy S and have recently gone back to the iPhone because it's so much easier to get the Apps and games I want on it. The Galaxy S is a better phone and internet device, but the iPhone has the edge elsewhere at the moment I feel.

Although really, I have to agree with that article. I'm one of the Joe Bloggs users really and it's just easier and less complicated to do the things I want on my iPhone. The bloatware is definately an issue too, I have to turn off my Galaxy S every day really, in order to stop it chugging.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Gingerbread will sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't agree with the article but then I have sense :). Stock android is too vanilla for me but it would be great if the manufacturers made it easy to root and replace with custom ROMs such add the modacco kitchen choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great article.

Root Explorer is one of the best apps I ever bought. I can kill all this bloatware crap by just deleting the APK files in the system partition. Surprise surprise, needs a rooted phone, though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

100% agree with article. I'm running stock froyo and its a much cleaner faster phone, loads more internal memory and better battery life.

Opendesire 4.0.23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Very good article. I've often though they need to ban manufacturers from putting their own spin on android for the sake of the a single unified user base. I think I read something about gingerbread going in this direction, hopefully it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

related article...

linkage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I have to say I much prefer HTC Sense over stock Android but I do hope the new widgets (coin flip etc.) aren't a sign of what's to come, they are really terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'm the opposite, I hate anything but vanilla Android, stock Froyo is particularly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

The lack of standardisation is my main bug, the HTC desire doesn't support wifi proxies (the equivalent of cutting off your legs) but some others do.

I guess the main question is what do you want in a smart phone? A blank slate to customise and bloat as you see fit or a flashy phone to impress your friends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm also hoping that Gingerbread will get rid of the need for the likes of Touchwiz, Sense etc. Sense, while one of the better examples, has me worried with the direction HTC is taking - especially when I see what they intend to do with their customizations of win mobile 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Most of the custom UIs for Android are terrible as the article says. They offer little to no extra functionality and make fragmentation much much worse. That said though, Sense UI and it's widgets are extremely well optimized imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

In think we're lucky ('cept Vodafone users :p) in that we don't have the networks overloading Android with all the rubbish the US networks get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

JustinOval wrote: »
    In think we're lucky ('cept Vodafone users :p) in that we don't have the networks overloading Android with all the rubbish the US networks get.

O2 branding it was a bit of a bummer though, thankfully I'm unbranded now. Its amazing how you learn what to look out for especially when I'm making my next purchase. I suppose the problem then is you ask the sales dude is it branded and he wont know and then tell you what you want to hear.

Advertisement