Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof question

Options
  • 20-09-2010 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi, I replaced my extension roof (DIY job, low on cash.) I was just wondering about the end of the roof by the facet and soffit area. I have included pictures and was wondering does this look correct? There's a gap for air flow but is it too big? Will rain blow in under this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Where is the 175 x 35 fasica / eaves board?(this is the timber you will nail the pvc to)
    What is the expanding metal for?
    Why do you have 2no 2 by 1 battons under the first row?

The tiles should be sitting on the 175 x 35

eaves-framing-l.gif

The First batton and and eaves board should be always slightly at a higher angle or kick off from the roof angle, with a 3x3 angle fillet behind the eaves board and on the rafter to avoid a dip in the felt and prevent water lodging there

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nosedive

OP, get your hands on the 'Homebond Builder's Manual'. If it's absolutely necessary to do the work yourself this book will have detail drawings of best practice and some guidance notes.

Alternatively, look up the Technical Guidance Documents in the Dept of the Environment website (see here http://www.environ.ie/en/TGD/).

I can't remember off hand what sections you'll need to refer to but I suspect ventilation and Drainage and Waste Water Disposal may be relevant. Have a browse through.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cottz2006

Hi, thanks for your help lads. The expanding metal is to stop bats getting in(I know your not supposed to stop them but I'm sick of them:(). I put the 2 by 1s on top of the original fascia board to bring the height up a bit. I think one of my friends has that home bond book as well, I'll have a look at that. I appreciate ye taking the time to answer my questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's built completely wrong.
    The felt is not install correctly, no tilting fillet, there is no need for expending metal, if done correct bats can't get into the roof space. Even though there would still be a gap between tile and felt, there is no access to the roof space, its no harm to block this though with metal if you wanted.

Hi, thanks for your input. Would I be able to correct it if I took off just the first row of tiles? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I would imagien so, the first row or two, once you get a look at the homebond book it will be pretty clear the position and order for everying. It's an important junction, you are right to look for advice to make sure its done correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nosedive

OP, as you may well be aware, bats are protected so be careful in how you deal with these. It's actually very simple to solve this; you'll need to erect a shelter for them near your roof space (as they always return to the same place). This can be a type of bird box in a tree in your garden out of the way so you won't even know they're there.

With winter coming they'll need s bit of shelter-and don't they hibernate? Have a think about it but certainly try not to just evict them.

Good luck with the roof!

Thanks again lads for steering me in the right direction. I'm definitely providing alternative accommodation for the bats, I have plenty of other places for them, I have a shed they can use and also there's bird boxes around my garden too, they're class to watch.

Advertisement