Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Based Gloss Paint

Options
  • 20-09-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

i was in Aldi (The Glen, Waterford) about two weeks ago and purchased Deco Water based Gloss Paint (Brown), i didn't know you could get gloss paint that was water based. It was great, completely odorless, could wash the brushes with water. Went back today and all was left was other colours.

I went out to the Ferrybank branch and tried Homebase but no luck, i'm gonna try Morris's tomorrow and then Woodies.

My question:
    does anyone know where I can purchase Water Based Gloss Paint for definite.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

johndoe99 wrote: »
    i was in Aldi (The Glen, Waterford) about two weeks ago and purchased Deco Water based Gloss Paint (Brown), i didn't know you could get gloss paint that was water based. It was great, completely odorless, could wash the brushes with water. Went back today and all was left was other colours.

I went out to the Ferrybank branch and tried Homebase but no luck, i'm gonna try Morris's tomorrow and then Woodies.

My question:
    does anyone know where I can purchase Water Based Gloss Paint for definite.

Thanks

Any paint shop will have it (woodies etc aren't really paint shops as such). With the 2012 VOC limits coming up, nearly all solvent borne paint is being phased out by the manafacturers.

Colortrend have been doing water based exterior gloss/eggshell for a while now, Farrow&Ball changed nearly all their oils to water-borne last year, Johnstones have carried water based gloss for years, Dulux/Crown are doing it too. Some colours may be hard to find, especially deep colours but that will change.
    US companies were using it over a decade ago due to their EPA laws.
    The stuff aldi had is pretty decent...all German made and not to be confused with "cheap" own brand paint.

Personally I don't really like it....doesn't have the same level of shine, can be hard to work with especially outside, difficult to feather out brush strokes, almost impossible to keepo a wet edge on large surfaces, doesn't hide stains as good as oil, although it arguably lasts longer than oil gloss and drying time is cut way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i agree with you that oil based is better, main reason i bought it was i needed some brown paint for an outside fence and it was only €5.

But now I'm hooked on it. i liked the fact it was it was completely odourless and it was touch dry in 30 minutes. So now i want more for the interior of my windows.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement